Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

First D70 pictures

Started by Marcelo Krause ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

First D70 pictures

13 posts
  1. Dear fellow photographers,

     

    Although I have been a regular reader of this forum for sometime, this is my first post. I haven’t posted anything before simply because I was not shooting digital underwater. I was hoping since September last year that Nikon would launch a replacement for the D100, something like the Canon 20D. Last month I realized that the D200 would not come soon, and after seriously considering changing my entire Nikon system to Canon, I brought an Aquatica for the D70. I was previously shooting underwater with a F5 and an Aquatica A5 housing. I will be still shooting film at least until September because of the CMAS photo competition (I am part of the Brazilian team). So far I’ve made 7 dives with the D70. So here are some comments about the camera and lenses I used.

     

    The D70/Aquatica.

    The housing is very nice. I have the A5 housing working flawlessly for 7 years now and I believe that the D70 will go the same way. The lens release arm inside the housing is longer than that on the A5, and if not carefully placed it may jam the zoom gear of the 12-24 (I did that on the first dive with the 12-24). The D70 viewfinder is very tiny. It is a struggle to do manual focus with a supermacro setup. But it woks on the majority of the situations. The autofocus of the D70 is the weakest part of the camera when underwater. With dim light (a frequent situation) the autofocus hunts a lot, especially with macro. When the off center focus brackets are selected the situation is even worst. On the bright side, the ability to change ISO and not being limited to 36 frames add a lot of flexibility. I also miss the TTL, most of all with macro lenses. After shooting with the F5 for a long time, I became used to it, and learned when it worked and when it wouldn’t work.

     

    Macro 105mm and 60mm

    Apart from the autofocus issue, they work great. 105 became a 150mm (35mm equiv) and it is very good for those shy creatures and small fishes. The 60mm became a 90mm (35mm equiv) and works similar to a 105mm on film. I used the 60mm a lot here in the south of Brazil, because most of the time the water is green, with low visibility. The 60mm allowed me to approach the subject and still frame the entire fish. Now with the D70 1.5x crop it’s difficult to frame as entire fish bigger than a human hand in murky water. But the same 1.5x crop is very useful for adding an extra magnification bigger than 1:1 (compared to 35mm).

     

    Nikon 12-24mm

    I works similar to the 17-35mm on film. I didn’t use much that lens underwater, and I think I won’t use the 12-24 either. When it focus on a close object the corners of the image became soft, kind of out of focus. But is very good for medium wide angle portraits.

     

    Nikon 10.5mm

    Works like a 16mm on film. It is my wide angle lens of choice for most of the situations. Sometimes I get the impression that the 10.5 distort the corners a little more than the 16mm, but I am not completely sure about that. The only downside is that sometimes you need to get very close to subject in order to fill the frame, and it’s not always easy.

     

     

    You can see some of the first pictures here:

    www.underwater.com.br/d70

     

     

    Best regards,

     

    Marcelo Krause

    marcelo@underwater.com.br

  2. Hi Marcelo,

     

    Welcome to wetpixel! This site is great and you will find lots of useful information here. I have known your work from before (wetpixelers, Marcelo is one of the best underwater photographers in Brazil), I am also from Brazil but I live in Panama, and I saw some of your pictures in Brazilian dive magazines.

     

    A few weeks ago I was faced with the same decision as you, but because I mainly shoot fish I need a fast autofocus and I decided to get a D2x with a Subal housing. Good luck with your new system!

     

    Luiz

  3. Welcome Marcelo,

     

    We will look forward to more pics and your experiences with the D70.

     

    Karl

  4. Hi Marcelo,

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel - I'm glad to hear that we got you set up and ready to go. It sounds like you've made the jump to digital with fleet feet.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Hi Marcelo -

     

    I like that blenny photo (mk02.jpg)...very cool. You can add iTTL to your D70 if you want. It is available as aftermarket add on from Matthias Heinrichs. About 200 dollars...

     

    The Sigma 15mm FE is also a good lens and fits nicely between the 10.5 and 12-24..

     

    My wife and I have been planning a trip to Brazil...we are the proud parents of an adopted Hyacinth.. I saw your picture of the Toucan.. If you have any wild Hyacinth photos I'd love to see them..!

     

     

    M.

    Edited by Starbuck
  6. Another Welcome to add to the list...

     

    I also have been following your work for some time!

     

    Enjoy the D70!

  7. Marcelo,

    I recognize you name from the U/Wphoto mailing list. It's great to have another photographer of your talent here on Wetpixel. Your 10.5 images are excellent. I'm a big fan of the 10.5 myself, thanks for sharing.

     

    Larry

  8. Thank you all for the warm welcome.

     

    Luiz, I am also considering buying a D2X, but it will depend on future projects. I think I will wait until Aquatica have an uw housing ready for it.

     

    Karl, the Hyacinth macaws can often be seen at the Pantanal region, about 100km from where the dive sites are, in Bonito. I have a few pictures of then; I will make then available on line tomorrow and post here the link. If you come to Brazil, try to visit Pantanal and Bonito. There are nice opportunities for topside photography and underwater photography. If you need any info when planning your trip feel free to ask.

     

    Larry, I recognize your name too from the uw photo list!!! The list had a lot of excellent photographers posting, but lately it haven’t seen to much action…

     

    Best Regards,

     

    Marcelo Krause.

  9. Marcelo, is there a good underwater photography forum (or e-mail list) in Brazil? I wanted to know what is going on down there...

  10. Mike,

     

    I’ve added some hyacinth macaws photos at the bottom of the page at www.underwater.com.br/d70

     

    Best regards,

     

    Marcelo

  11. Hi Marcello,

     

    So you too have succumbed to the digital technique? :)

     

    I think its catching. :blink:

     

    Welcome aboard,

     

    Christian

  12. Welcome Marcelo! Nice pictures. Glad to see you are now part of the digital camp. :blink:

     

    Best,

    David.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.