Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Converting PAL miniDV into NTSC

Started by echeng ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Converting PAL miniDV into NTSC

5 posts
  1. Hey, video gurus. I have a PAL miniDV tape here with footage I'd like to get into NTSC format. My SONY PDX-10 can play the PAL footage back, but I can't seem to get the footage off of the camera via firewire nor s-video. Any tips? Must I use a PAL deck to firewire off the footage, and then convert to NTSC?

  2. Well, I haven't figured out how to do it in Premiere yet (when I open a PAL project, it complains that my Canopus card won't work with it), but using DVStorm -- the software that came with my Canopus -- it seems to be working. Setting the card to PAL mode required a reboot, but it is now importing properly from my NTSC camera.

     

    So I'm all set. :blink:

    Edited by echeng
  3. Or...you could buy one of the new ZR HD Sony's that do both PAL and NTSC, finish your project, then give it to me!! :blink:

  4. The very best software conversion from PAL to NTSC these days is said to be using Twixtor software.

     

    Canopus Procoder makes a good job. This is what I use. Expensive though.

     

    Sony Vegas is said to make a good job too with the right settings. Other current NLE's might make a good job on their own but Premiere 6.5 certainly didn't.

     

    You can farm footage out to get it converted by hardware converters in realtime or better but I'm told that a good Twixtor conversion can beat even them.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.