Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

newbie help - setup for website

Started by LChan ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

newbie help - setup for website

3 posts
  1. i just got back from weeks at Roatan and Grand Turk with my new UW D100 setup.

    It was my first pictures and I am fairly pleased.

     

    My question for all of you guys with websites -

     

    I'm putting together my website right now, mainly to show to friends.

     

    What quality size pictures do you do? I would prefer not to make the pictures too small or poor in quality.

     

    how do you protect your pictures? Do you watermark? What program do you guys use? I just started using Picasa from Google. A free program that does basic functions for color, saturation. It also sets up a "website friendly" page that is very easy to use.

     

    thanks.

  2. I use gallery as the backend for a very simple website. Easy to use, and you can set it up to resize your shots as well as applying a watermark.

     

    As to size, I stick with 640x480 for the most part, and try and set the compresion to make each shot around 200-300k.

     

    If you really want to keep the site small and fast, 100k is probably a good file size.

  3. I use the free program jalbum to set up a website. This program allows for a lot of customization. It can automatically resize, sharpen, watermark, add border. (I don't use these features, though, using Photoshop scripts instead.) It can manage large albums, keeping things consistent. I use the ExhibitPlus skin. I've never tried Picasa so I don't know how they compare. In terms of size, I am currently using high quality 540x360 but this is probably a little too small.

     

    Does anyone have tips for good auto-sharpen procedures? I'd like the resized photos to be well-sharpened, but I haven't found a USM setting which works for every photo. 300 0.2 0 USM, with layer opacity of 30% seems to be a good baseline. But more detailed photos require less opacity; I guess I should try to find a good standard threshold amount.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.