Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

CC filter, Custom WB and Raw

Started by Evan ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

CC filter, Custom WB and Raw

3 posts
  1. I have a Canon S-40, but no external strobe. I’ve found in the past, recording in JPEG mode, that I get good results using a CC or FL filter over the lens, with custom white balance. The result was always close to the color rendition I wanted, and easy to edit in Elements 2.0.

     

    When I saw how easy it seemed to be to edit RAW files in Elements 3.0, I decided to try the same shooting technique, but record in RAW. The results, as displayed on the camera and in the Elements 3.0 organizer, were great. However, when I opened the files in the RAW editor, they looked as though I had used no filter and had used auto WB: overwhelmingly blue. I can edit the WB, of course, but it requires pushing the WB to the end of the range, and even then the images don’t look as good as the thumbs.

     

    What’s going on here? I thought RAW was supposed to expend the editing possibilities, not limit them. Is the filter and custom WB technique only viable for JPEGs? How to do I get these images to look more like the thumbs?

  2. The white balance technique works in RAW, but the "proper" WB for a filtered image is out of the range for all current RAW converters to get to by using the sliders. The only way to set WB for these images is to click on something neutral in the image, or in another image (if you have save the WB info and apply it to another image in your converter). You'll notice that the WB sliders go to their limits -- but the actual white point has been set far out of the range shown.

     

    That's why you have to shoot something white/grey while underwater, in the same lighting conditions, and using the same filter; you can use that white value to set white balance -- either by using custom white balance at the time of shooting, or for setting white balance during RAW conversion.

  3. Eric,

     

    I feel honored to have your input on my amateur problem. Thanks so much. I think I picked up the filter technique from an article of yours.

     

    Here's my drill: I put the filter in place inside the housing. At the depth I want to take a shot, I set the custom white balance using a white card that I carry with me. I reset the white balance for any change in depth. I don't actually take a photo of the card. Is that what you're saying I should do?

     

    When you say "click on something neutral in the image," is this when the image is open in the PSE Rawfile editor? Are these likely so far out of range as to be unsalvageable? I still don't understand why the thumbnails look pretty good but the image in teh rawfile editor looks so blue--like something done in point and shoot mode.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.