Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Lens help

Started by dawktah ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens help

4 posts
  1. Hello!

     

    I am a new diver trying to decide as to whether to buy a dedicated diving lens for my Digital Rebel. I used the standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM and had mixed results. Most of which I now see are operator error from reading forum. I also did not like lens changing length so close to port, I failed to remove a filter, now I have a tiny circular scratch. I also found myself spending too much time playing around with zoom. Taking photography as part of my upcoming Advanced Open Water course.

     

    Would the lens EF 50mm f/1.4 USM be a good choice if I am also going to add an Ikelite DS-125 strobe to the housing, or should I obtain a different lens f/? either 28mm or 35mm? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a zoom lens? I would like something that will still fit inside current port #5503

     

    I'm fascinated by invertebrates, so this will be my primary subject.

     

    --Chris

  2. Hi Chris,

     

    The EF50mm 1.4 is designed to be used at very low f-stops as a portrait lens. The subject is usually 4-6 feet away, and the aim of the portrait is shallow depth of field.

     

    Underwater, we want the opposite. Usually we want to get close and maximize depth of field. That's why dedicated macro lenses are better. Canon makes a new lens called the 60mm EF-S which you should get, instead of the 50mm 1.4.

     

    Hope that helps

    James

  3. Max. length on that lens is 2.8" current lens is 2.6" will it work in same port housing?

  4. I would certainly agree that the 60mm EF-S is a better choice for macro than the 50mm 1.4 - besides the 60mm lens does life size magnification whereas the 50mm 1.4 can only do 0.15 at 1.5 ft.

    However, that is about where the superiority of the 60mm lens ends. I have played around with it comparing it to the 50mm 1.4 and it is not in the same league in any other aspects. The 50mm 1.4 is brighter, faster focussing, more accurate with colours and incredibly sharp. Of course it can also be used on any camera whereas the 60mm is limited to EF-S mounts.I think the 50mm 1.4 is one of the real bargains out there. No wonder it is the lens that is most commonly used when doing comparative Canon camera body tests.

    I have used the 50mm 1.4 extensively underwater as well and owe many of my favourite pictures to it. Any medium size fish, reef scene or close up diver portrait works well. I just want to emphasize that it is not only excellent at wide apertures but remains tack sharp up to f22.

    Having said al that I now shoot underwater mostly with the cropped sensor DSLRs so the 50mm is now effectively 80mm and thus less usefull so it will be retired for land use.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.