Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

underwater digital in Australia

Started by warith ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

underwater digital in Australia

7 posts
  1. anyone here had any significant experience with purchasing a digital camera internationally? I live in Australia, and the prices are significantly more expensive for digital cameras and housings (about 150% what they would be in the states). The only place I have managed to get shipping prices tpo here from the states has quoted $74 for delivery of a Canon G2, which seems kinda steep.

     

     

    regards

    Warith

  2. I am living in Switzerland and bought an Ikelite housing and DS-125 from B&H photography in New York last month. I looked around for some time before deciding and prices are the lowest in the US. It was at least 50% cheaper even including VAT. Also B&H seem to have quite a good reputation.

    I paid around $120 US for delivery. This seemed quite expensive at the time, however I placed the order on Monday afternoon and the goods arrived on Friday morning !!. So I can't complain about speed. I think international shipping price are quite high as all goods need to be insured during transit.

    The camera itself, I bought locally. It wasn't much cheaper by mail order and it was worth spending a little more for the included local 2 year warranty.

  3. b&h seem to be offering some of the best prices, combined with decent service. They are who I'm thinking of getting my housing through. Unfortunately the G2's seem to be in the mid USD$500's in the states, where as in Australia they are selling for over USD$800 :P

     

     

    regards

    Warith

  4. When I was in the US Navy stationed in Japan my Dad asked me to buy him a Cannon SLR. The price I found was less than he could buy it for in a small town in Michigan (USA). This even though the camera was made in Japan. I found 2 places where the prices always seem to be least in price. Hong Kong (that was before the takeover) and the USA.

     

    Ikelite products are typically discounted from the list price in the mail order stores in the US

  5. And I agree, B&H always have good prices and service. I'll bet they will figure out a way to get the product to you. Might be a good excuse to undertake an UW photo trip to the US or through the US to the Caribbean. B)

  6. Heh,

     

    I've already got my trip planned. Heron Island, central Queensland. I honestly think it's one of the very very best dive/snorkel destinations in the world. It's an 'outer reef' island, in a marine park, with very few people visiting it every year.

     

    Now I just need my camera! (my wife dropped my old Minolta underwater one, so this is the prime time to upgrade! :P

     

     

     

    regards

    Warith

  7. Check the vendor ratings very carefully before purchasing online and from mail order camera sellers.

     

    There have been a lot of stories of wrong power chargers (Oz uses a different plug type), foreign language menus, etc. etc. and a lot of headaches.

     

    For cameras, you are probably better off buying locally so you can get the support and warranty.

     

    A lot of people inquire about purchasing the latest and greatest cameras from Japan but I have to turn them away due to the language issues, for example the manuals and onscreen menus are in Japanese, etc.

     

    For purchasing online, I recommend B&H or Adorama in order to not get ripped off. They have higher prices but are much more reputable than most other mail order places. See "Where to buy a camera" on photo.net.

     

    Also, I suggest supporting (your local) specialized dealer of underwater cameras/housings so you can get some feedback and instruction.

     

    Good luck,

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.