Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

olympus c-8080

Started by goyo ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

olympus c-8080

3 posts
  1. HELLO, I BUT A C8080, 023, AND SEALIFE DIGITAL STROBE, I WENT DIVING LAST WEEK AND I TOOK SOME NICE PICS BUT I NEED HELP WITH SETTINGS SO I CAN HAVE THE BEST SETTINGS FOR BETTER PICS. CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME ADVISE OR TIPS ON THIS?

  2. Hi goyo,

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel. This is a pretty broad question - I suggest you do a search on "Olympus Settings" in our Consumer Camera forum.

     

    Hope that helps,

    James

  3. Hello Goyo:

     

    I suggest you set some mymodes with those values you cosider more suitable for your shots. My camera is an Olympus C5060, and suppose it's similar to your 8080. I have configured 4 mymodes for the different kind of pictures I ussualy take: Supermacro, macro, wide angle without strobe, wide angle with strobe.

     

    Go to mymode set up, go to "custom" and you will see different things to configure. I have theese settings:

     

    SUPERMACRO

     

    P/A/S/M/SPrg :here I set "M"

    FNo : 7.1

    SHUTTER: 1/160

    FLASH MODE: SLOW

    AF/(here comes the drawing of a flower)/MF : s and the flower, corresponding to supermacro

    ISO: 80

    FLASH: slave

    SLOW: slow1

    NOISE REDUCTION: off

    FULLTIME AF: off

    AF MODE: iESP

    WB: AUTO

    SHARPNES, CONTRAST AND SATURATION: you can set 0, and correct this with Photoshop better.

     

    Theese settings are not all that appear at the screen, but they are more or less the main ones.

     

    MACRO

     

    P/A/S/M/SPrg: M

    FNo: 5.6

    SHUTTER: 1/200

    ZOOM 27mm

    FLASH MODE:SLOW

    AF/the flower symbol/MF: select the flower

    ISO 80

    FLASH: IN+

    SLOW: SLOW1

    And the rest of functions, the same as in supermacro

     

    WIDE ANGLE, NO FLASH:

    You only change: FLASH MODE, select the symbol of a ray into a circle, this means that you disconect the strobe.

    And at AF/flower symbol/MF here I have AF

    FLASH:IN+

    ISO 100

    For SHUTTER and FNo, notice that you have to select a combination that allows a good amount of light passing throug the lens, you are working wthout the help of the strobe. Maybe 5,6 or a smaller number for FNo and 1/100 - 1/200 for SHUTTER depending of the natural ligtning (you can change this during the dive)

    The rest of options are basically the same.

     

    WIDE ANGLE WITH FLASH:

     

    More or less the same but you have to activate the internal flash (FLASH MODE:SLOW). And set a higher number for FNo and smaller value for SHUTTER, now you are using an extra source of light.

     

    Well, that's what I have in my camera, but it's not the only right way. In fact, FNo and SHUTTER are two settings that I'm changing continuosly durig the dive, so theese settengs shown you here (for FNo and shutter) are only a slight reference. According to the situation, the water conditions, the distance from the subject, color of the animal or the sand around it....you must change FNo and shutter into higher or lower values.

     

    You can change ISO too for the same reasons, but high values for ISO tend to produce noise in your photos. Maybe 80-100 coul be good.

     

    So, by having mymodes configured in your camera, you have fixed values that you don't need to touch during the dive - more comfortable for you - and only have to choose macro, wide angle...so on, and only need to vary Fno, shooter or ISO ( and maybe something else that I never touch). The rest of the options remain fixed, this means less work to do.

     

    Well, I hope my tips can be useful for your camera and four yor pics. This is what I do and I think it can be suitable. Regards :o

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.