I'm looking at all the cameras which have either just come out or are coming out in the next few weeks and the choice is dazzling, to say the least.
I'm on a budget of a bit over USD$1k, and I'm prepared to put off purchasing a light setup until next year, in an attempt squeeze more quality from this purchase.
It would seem that the Canon G2 and the Nikon Coolpix 5000 are about the best of the bunch, with the Sony 707 as a nice camera which perhaps isn't suited to underwater so much and the Olympus 4040z as having slightly lower quality photos. I'm after a camera which could print in 40cm * 35cm or so (in inches i think thats about 16" * 14.5") at about standard photograph quality from a short distance. I'm also keen on the idea of recording underwater movie footage, so it's another feature I want in a camera.
I've read many of the previous posts here regarding camera choices and was really after some more recent help and advice; a $1,000 mistake will cost me many months of dish-duty at home ![]()
Is it a good idea to purchase a nice camera (with inbuilt flash) and housing now and delay the strobe, or would I get much better results with a cheaper housing and a cheaper camera and also light now? Any recommendations as to the 'best of the bunch' for late 2002 digital cameras?
I'm thinking at the moment that the Canon G2 and Ikelite housing would be a great start, with a Ikelite DS125 strobe in a year or less.
While I'm at it, is there a major advantage in purchasing the fastest flash card around? Any advice on which flash cards are best and which should be avoided?
regards
Warith