Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Sensor cleaning

Started by yahsemtough ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sensor cleaning

6 posts
  1. I know there is a whole link in pbase about using the swabs to clean the sensor...to start.

     

    My sensor was not dirty, it turned out to be the focus screen and I learned a lot about the internal workings of the camera by default in the process. The camera store provided little help other than to send the camera in to have the focus screen cleaned as any contact with it would leave more dust/smudges. True but, I also leave in 2 weeks and have no time to send it in and the dirt is bloody annoying. :) That and they were basically covering their butt.

     

    I found a link on dpreview in the forums on how to remove the focus screen (quite easy actually) and low and behold all is good again. Thanks local camera store for all the help :D

     

    Back to the sensor.

     

    In the above process the store was originally telling me to clean the CMOS with sensor brushes. They had not seen the camera to realize that if I see the specs when looking through the eyepiece it is not on the sensor.

     

    Now, I'm not cheap but also, not stupid (sometimes). These two little paint prushes in a fancy plastic case were $130CDN. Now I know if you kill your sensor you are done but, I asked about the hairs and the material on the brushes and said "could I not find these at an art store?" Which they responded "Probably"

     

    I go to the art store and they appeared to have the very same brushes, just not the exact size to match the sensor for $5 each. :)

     

    Anyone have any insights to add as to why these brush would be remarkedly different from the sensor brushes? :o

     

    I have not gotten them but might to keep while traveling.

     

    Thanks for any experience

     

    Todd

    Edited by yahsemtough
  2. Yes, based on what I've read, you can use an art store brush as long as the bristles are made of the correct material. You want them to pick up the corret charge, and you don't want them to leave a mark on your sensor.

     

    If you buy an art store brush you'll probably have to clean the heck out of it. From what I understand, after you clean it, sweep it across a multi-coated lens. If it doesn't leave a mark/smear, then it's clean enough to use on your sensors.

     

    Do a search on the net for recommended brands of brushes as there is one guy who has tried them all.

     

    All of this is at your own risk.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. The Sensor Clean Brush website gives examples of why not to use an art brush. The basic points you mention in terms of smear scratch and pick-up

  4. Excellent example and seems to answer all my concerns or skepticisms. And, addresses the marketing on the Sensor Brush site well in my mind.

     

    Thanks

     

    Todd

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.