Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Preflash in Canon S40

Started by vlad ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Preflash in Canon S40

3 posts
  1. Hello

     

    This is my first post so be merciful with me.

    I am planning to buy a Canon S40 with an underwater case from Canon.

    I have a reflexion Bonica strobe (cordless) and I know that the S40 does preflash each picture when you use the strobe.

     

    How bad is this preflash? Does the flash of the strobe is long enough for the preflash and flash?

    Did anybody did any measurements?

    Did anybody tried to rewrite the firmware of the camera to get rid of the preflash?

    Does anybody know how to get the code and to flash new code in the S40 camera?

     

    What is your general opinion of the camera?

    How is the close up? What is the range?

     

    Thank you

    Vlad

  2. Hi,

     

    I own a S40 with the Canon Housing and NO external flash.

     

    After 50 dives with the setup I have mixed feelings.

     

    Pro

    - easy to use

    - very accessable and easy to learn, you get good pictures very fast

     

    Contra

    - very limited macro range (you can´t get nearer than 15-20 cm)

    - very limited wideangle

    - the "blue" sometimes gets somewhat "funny" on some pictures, it then looks artificial

     

    You can look at some pics from my trip to egypt at:

    http://www.pixum.de/viewalbum/?id=421062

     

    To be honest: I will sell the S40 within the next weeks and consider a Nikon Coolpix 5000 plus case and external flash. I know the budet is "different" but the sample pictures I looked at (macros!!!) are far better then the S40 stuff.

     

    I hope that helps....

     

    Bye bye

     

    Chris

  3. >How bad is this preflash? Does the flash of the strobe is long enough for the preflash and flash?

    No, usually the strobe will fire in the first flash (the preflash)

     

    >Did anybody tried to rewrite the firmware of the camera to get rid of the preflash?

    >Does anybody know how to get the code and to flash new code in the S40 camera?

    I do not think it is possible in any digital camera. The camera fires the preflash and read this reflected light, according to that its set the amount of light that needed to the specific shot and to set the 'real' flash (the second).

    With a regular strobe (one that does not ignore the preflash), you must use manual mode.

     

    >What is your general opinion of the camera?

    I have the S30 that is almost similar, for it's price (600$ for camera + u/w case) I think it is excellent. I found it very easy to use and with good image quality.

     

    >How is the close up? What is the range?

    It is not the best part of that camera but it is not so bad, the macro mode is up to 10 cm.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.