Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help to idetify, Please!

Started by cybersven ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Help to idetify, Please!

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

     

    This is a photo taken in Puerto Galera the Philippines

     

    thumb_13~0.jpg

     

    Big

     

    Can anyone help me to identify what this is?

     

    Kind Regards

     

    Sven

  2. Its a crinoid of some type. They're also called feather stars. They're echinoderms, and these critters are primarily nocturnal. At night, they uncurl their arms to help catch dinner (plankton).

     

    I'm sure somebody will be along shortly with a better ID and description.

  3. I think it's a crinoid.

     

    http://www.nova.edu/ocean/messing/crinoids/w1title.html

     

    If you get really lucky, search the arms for a tiny crinoid shrimp. I've seen

    one, but didn't have the macro lens.

     

     

    Nuts, shouldn't have looked up the URL...... Too slow.

    Edited by danschmitt
  4. Most likely Oxycomantus (also known as Comanthus) bennetti

     

    THat is the most common of the crinoids in that area and they have lots of different colour variations

  5. It's a common crinoid, but besides that your shot of it is excellent. I like the slightly upward angle and the blue negative space. Nice work.

     

    Joe

  6. Thanks for the super feedback and help :D

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.