Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sharpening

Started by jimbo1946 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Sharpening

3 posts
  1. This issue has probably been addressed before, but if so, I missed it.

     

    I use a D70 and D100. In the setup, you can set in-camera sharpening at several levels, including "None." I'm using PS CS2, and I really like the new Smart Sharpen filter.

     

    Question: Is it better to let the camera do some sharpening, then finish it with PS, or is it better to do no in-camera sharpening and do all the sharpening in PS.

     

    Thanks very much for any opinions!

     

    Jim :D

  2. Sharpening is best done at the very end. Sharpening causes undesirable artifacts such as halos and noise which are intensifyed by further processing so by doing it at the end the visability of these things are minimized.

     

    But I think the consensis is that it if image quality is primary consern it is best to shoot in RAW mode. Since in camera settings are irrelevant in RAW it makes no difference what sharpening level is set in camera. But when doing the RAW conversion 0 sharpening should be applyed.

     

    So if you shoot in RAW + jpg mode you might as well apply incamera shaprening so the jpg's look as good as possible out of the camera and not photoshop them at all.

    Edited by acroporas
  3. Thanks, William. That sounds like good advice. After shooting RAW on my first two trips with a DSLR, I made the decision to shoot large JPGs. For me, that's good enough, although I understand the reasons for shooting RAW.

     

    I'll probably let the D70 keep on applying some sharpening, then do the rest in PS CS2.

     

    Thanks again!

     

    Jim

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.