Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

New Member ... and a Question

Started by dizzydev ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

New Member ... and a Question

5 posts
  1. Howdy all - I'm a dry photographer, who after stumbling across this site is seriously considering getting wet! I've done some diving in the past while on vacation, but it had never really occurred to me to combine the two interests into one. I'll aspire at some point to be as good as you all are underwater - in the meantime, I'll freely admit that my first step will be getting certified, and with Northern CA water temps, it will doubtless be an eye-opening experience. :D

     

    My real question, though, is about travelling with luggage. I do a lot of travel for my day job, which unfortunately does not involve a camera. It seems tho my carry-on is getting knocked around more and more by those carrying on everything they own to avoid checking unlocked luggage. I'm intrigued by the hard-case approach, mainly because it would provide flexibility to carry my camera kit along with other fragile items in a protected enclosure.

     

    Looking at the Storm Case 2750 and Pelican 1620, though, it seems that both are one notch too big to be permitted into the cabin. Can y'all confirm for me if indeed you're carrying these on, and moreover, what regions of the world you've been able to do so without a rash?

     

    Thanks in advance, and I'll now return to reading all your fantastic posts!

  2. Welcome to Wetpixel dizzydev.

     

    I travel with my housing/strobes/ports in a Pelican 1550 case. Its around 21"x17"x9". That's 3" wider than the published dimensions. I've taken this case to Grand Cayman on Delta, to Bonaire on Air Jamaica, to West Palm Beach on Southwest, and to Roatan on TACA and I've never been asked to check it or hassled about its size...yet.

  3. Ken:

    Unfortunately, you probably will be hassled soon. I travel a lot as well and have started seeing folks carryons getting measured.

    Bill

  4. I'll find out soon enough on Continental (Houston) and American Eagle (San Juan) in the next month.

     

    I was talking with Dave Marsh today at SEASPACE on a topic similar to this and I mentioned the SJU airport and American Airlines. He said that he had four people come up to him today and tell him they had housings go missing from checked luggage in SJU. So if they want to hassle me about my case, they're more than welcome to, but I want assurances that my gear won't go missing. If they want to gate check my Pelican and give it back to me at the end of the flight, that's okay. The case will rarely leave my side at that point and it will minimize my security concerns.

     

    Anyone else heard of any problem airlines/airports besides American in SJU?

  5. Hi Dev and welcome to Wetpixel.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.