Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Adobe Photoshop CS2 not reading jpg color spaces

Started by echeng ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Adobe Photoshop CS2 not reading jpg color spaces

10 posts
  1. I just upgraded to Adobe Photoshop CS2, and it doesn't seem to want to read color spaces embedded in JPG files.

     

    In preferences, I have UNCHECKED the "Ignore EXIF Profile Tag" checkbox (which is NOT checked by default), but it does the same thing in both settings.

     

    Here are sample workflows that used to work fine in Photoshop CS:

     

    1) Open JPG file in CS2

    2) Assign AdobeRGB 1998 color space

    3) Save JPG file

    4) Re-open JPG file

     

    The file is opened in whatever my default RGB working space is.

     

    But if I then open the saved file in CS (the one I just saved in CS2), it opens properly as AdobeRGB 1998, so it's definitely different behavior between CS and CS2.

     

    Files converted with CaptureOne with Adobe1998 destination also have this problem. I've been wondering why my files all seem to flat lately. Now I know why! grrrrrrr.

     

    Anyone know of a fix for this?

  2. Hey Eric,

     

    Not noticed this problem on the Mac. But have been mainly working from RAW since getting CS2!

     

    I notice that it is possible in the Preferences and Colour Settings to set files to Automatically convert colour space without prompting.

     

    Maybe your settings have it not converting without prompting? Maybe just a reset of all the preference to default might work?

     

    Just a guess. I am sure you know more about this than I do.

     

    Alex

  3. Thanks, Alex. The color management policies are all set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles," as they should be. Something else is going on. :D

  4. Hi Eric, I dont think I can reproduce this. If I load a jpg with AdobeRGB, then save it as sRGB, next time I open it it opens as sRGB. I can see the document profile on the bottom status bar (the little arrow there allows you to show the document profile). Even though my working space profile is AdobeRGB, im editing that image in sRGB (verified by the fact that if you turn warnings on, you will get a warning that you are about to change working space for that document).

     

    Or am i misunderstating your question, or misreading CS2?

     

    Cor

  5. thanks, guys. I uninstalled both CS and CS2, transfered activation, re-installed CS2, and everything is now fine.

     

    stupid computers. :D

  6. Hi Eric

     

    If its any consolation my copy of CS just reset itself to all the default settings this morning - no reason it just must have felt like it (and on a mac too)!

  7. Not to be left out.

     

    My CS2 crashes while opening the first time I try an open it. Then opens fine the second time. Just moments later! Probably need to download an update from Adobe as I am still on Photoshop 9.0.

     

    I didn't get this problem until I updated my OS to Apple 10.4.

     

    I agree with Eric succinct comment: "stupid computers"

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  8. I've also had CS lose activation information while on a boat, after a machine crash. This is very bad.

     

    Uh, not that I'm recommending this, but in theory, if you carry around a crack for the product, you can avoid being shut out of the program if this should happen. :D

  9. Guess ive been lucky. No problems sofar with CS2.

     

    Cor

  10. I found the problem. The problem is with the ProJPEG plug-in. When it's installed, CS2 ignored JPG color profiles. I'm going to see if there's an update.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.