Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Soft coral, Black Coral, or Bryozoa??

Started by MikeVeitch ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Soft coral, Black Coral, or Bryozoa??

9 posts
  1. Anyone know what this stuff is?

     

    Found in the Tuamotu Archipelago of French Polynesia at about 40' (13m) of depth

     

    Thanks

    Mike

    post-2598-1118137185_thumb.jpg

  2. Tis a Grouper......

     

     

    Looks like a soft coral(gargonian) but hard to say from that picture. Can you post a crop that shows more of the "polyp" structure.

  3. That was quick! Yep, knew i was leaving myself open to the grouper comment :D

    Heres a crop

    post-2598-1118138654_thumb.jpg

  4. Maybe a hydrozoan, sertularia

     

    IndoPacific Coral Reef Field Guide - page 51, bottom right hand corner

  5. Looks like a hydrozoan to me, but I've never seed hydros so prolific. It does remind me of black coral to some degree but I think it's a hydrozoan of some sort.

     

    Joe

  6. Yes, now that you post the close up it is easyer.

     

    If it were soft coral (gargonian), the poilps would point perpendicular to the branch.

     

    The polips dont remind me of Black coral at all.

     

    So I would go with Hydroid... I dont have any Hydroid ID books so I cant help with a futher ID.

    Edited by acroporas
  7. Hi Mike,

    The closest I can get is what looks like a Eudendrium sp. in Coral Reef Animals, but can't be sure.....

    Marli

  8. Hey Mike, when it comes to this kind of stuff anybody's guess is as good as mine. I'm with Paul, Joe, & William in thinking it's some kind of hydrozoan. What I can do is download the images (if you don't mind) and send them to a colleague who actually works with 'droids for his opinion.

    cheers, L

  9. Thanks everybody for the quick replies. Thats what i love about this place, everyone chips in to help.

     

    I don't mind you showing them to a colleague Leslie, thanks for the extra effort.

     

    Mike

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.