Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Is this a nudibranch?

Started by vlad ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Is this a nudibranch?

6 posts
  1. Yep! Its a nudi. And a nice one. I couldn't tell you the species without a book. But I am sure others can. Alex

  2. I believe it may be a Dondice occidentalis. Photos of the head area would help.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Thank you for your answers.

     

    I don't have any other angles for the nudibranch ... I guess I was too cold to think straight and I also had a 7 ft. sand tiger shark waiting for me to take its picture ...

    :D

     

    Vlad

  4. I'd guess this is an undescribed Janolus species - I say that because there appears to be a caruncle between its rhinophores, and it sure looks like a Janolus. Too bad you don't have a head shot so we could see that inter-rhinophoral area.

     

    I bet Ms. Wakeling was fooled by the Sea Slug Forum picture (http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=dondocci), which does indeed show some Janolus's (Janoli?) that look like this one.

     

    The only other Atlantic Janolus I know of is Janolus cristatus, but this doesn't look like one.

     

    I wonder if this is in fact a Pacific species carried into the Atlantic in ship's bilge water, or by Martians messing with our heads?

     

    -Ray

  5. Yes,

    I missed that 'ol caruncle! <_< Actually, this is the link I looked at to try and figure it out:

    http://www.medslugs.de/E/Atl-W/Dondice_occidentalis_09.htm

    but it's probably the same critter. I've looked at all the Janolus sp. I can find reference to, and can't seem to find it, so may be worth sending it in to the Slug Forum and maybe someone will recognise it.

    Cheers,

    Marli

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.