Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

I have a sick sense of humor.

Started by acroporas ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

I have a sick sense of humor.

10 posts
  1. I must have a sick sense of humor but I get really excited when I find an unhealthy fish, and even more exctied over sick coral.

     

    Leslie had so much fun with my worm I figured I'd post another fun picture(or two)

     

     

    Ok, I havent bothered to look up what species of fish this is. Probably a cardnalfish of some sort, but that isnt the point.

     

    It clearly has a bacterial infection near it's tail and is missing most of its dorsal fin.

     

    But what's really interesting is the objects growing from where it's dorsal fin used to be. It could just be remnents of dorsal spines but then there are two more near it's tail.

     

    So anyone want to guess what is growing on this fish?

     

    CRW_4578.jpg

     

     

     

     

    And then mystery object #2 is no mystery to me but fun none-the-less. Coral cancer. My father, a (humen)pathologist, really enjoyed this picture and my explanation of it. No questions about this one, just had to share it because I got so excited when I spotted it.

     

    CRW_4380-.jpg

    Edited by acroporas
  2. My guess is he is doing his best impersonation of a boxer crab...either anemone or hydroid?

  3. William - how can you tell that the coral growth is a cancer and not just another organism growing on it? Inquiring minds want to know! :P

  4. Leslie, do a google search for Acropora AND neoplasm.

  5. thanks for the suggestion - I found a lot of information. It's always a good day when I learn something new.

  6. Hi folks

    re the strange outgrowths near the fins - I have no idea what it could be, would need a close-up of these things ..

    re the "coral cancer" - it's a weird looking thing

    rather a few people know that some crabs (family Cryptochiridae) and shrimps (genus Paratypton, Pontoniinae) cause ulcer-like outgrowths, called "galls", usually closer to branch tips or between two branches

    this thing does not look too much like a crab or shrimp gall though ..

    Paratypton is one of the strangest looking shrimps, so it's really worth to search for it ! coral crabs are weird-lloking, too, especially females

    cheers

    Art

  7. I have never seen a gall on an acroporid. They are common on pociliporids though. This doesnt look much like a gall anyway. It is definately a neoplasm.

     

    In fact I've spent several dives trying to get a picture of a Gall crab.

     

    Without much sucess...Here's the best I managed.

     

    CRW_5191.jpg

     

    Which came from this Stylophora gall.

     

    CRW_5147.jpg

  8. Anyone have any ideas How I could try to get a picture of a Seriatopora gall crab?

     

    Not nearly as easy as the Stylophora above.

     

    CRW_4234.jpg

  9. Hey !

    nice shots, except that you don't see much of the crab ..

    well, the only way to get a decent picture is .. to break the gall !

    of course, if you are "be kind to nature" type (as we all are) :)) you wouldn't do it

    I mean you're not doing much damage to the coral (and the crabs are coral parasites anyway), but you will certainly kill the crab, even if you release the little guy it will probably be immediately attacked and eaten by fishes or other crabs (e.g., Trapezia)

    so it makes sense only if you take pictures and then preserve the crab for us scientists !

    cheerio

    Art :)

  10. My guess is that it is a lepor :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.