Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Newbie needs housing advice

Started by DanQ ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Newbie needs housing advice

4 posts
  1. Hi everyone! It looks like I'll be going back to Hawaii this year. Last time I got my first taste of snorkeling and underwater photography by using disposable underwater cameras.

     

    I own a D100, and I'd love to be able to do some underwater photography with it. It's already insured, so I'm in OK shape if it gets damaged (though I'd be upset that I couldn't use it for the rest of the trip, so let's try not to damage it, eh?)

     

    The other issue is that I don't want to spend a ton of money on an underwater housing. Combine that with the fact that I'll be free diving, my max depth will be around 25 feet.

     

    Based on the research I've done so far, it seems like I should go with a flexible housing like the ones I've seen from ewa-marine.

     

    What are people's opinions of their (or other flexible) housings? Are they safe? Do they work well? Will I be happy?

     

    Any advice would be appreciated! I didn't see a sticky for a FAQ, but I'd be happy to read one!

     

    Thanks!

    Edited by DanQ
  2. I have never used one of the flexible housings, but have seen people use them successfully in shallow water. I have also seen them fail in shallow water (on my last trip one failed but the flood was caught soon enough that the camera survived). Sorry I can't really recommend one way or another for your particular situation, but I'm a bit leery of the flexible housings . . .

     

    Mike

  3. The only person that I know that used the Eva-marine product, flooded his DSLR in one of the first dives with it.

    I won't put my camera in such a device, but if you have a good insurance and want the option to replace your gear - maybe yes.

  4. I had a flooding incident 1-2 ft., I now have an Ikelite housing dSLR

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.