Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

ePaperpress PTlens Plugin

Started by james ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

ePaperpress PTlens Plugin

3 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    Has anyone used the PTlens plugin for photoshop? It uses the panotools library coupled with a set of specific lens profiles to automatically correct for lens defects.

     

    I downloaded the package of profiles and was pleased to see that it has specific profiles for the popular DSLR's coupled with lenses we use: 17-40, Sigma 15mm fisheye, Sigma 12-24, etc.

     

    For example, I shot a lot of images on the shark trip using the Sigma 12-24DX lens. The PTlens plugin automatically corrects for chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, and vignetting. By clicking on and off w/ the preview, I an see the effect - it's subtle but it's definitely doing something.

     

    You can download the free software at www.epaperpress.com:

     

    http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html

  2. It works very well. I use it for correcting distortion from the 15 FE and the 16-35L.

     

    Helped with the reception shots of my wedding that were done with the 12-24!

     

    s.

  3. Hi Stu,

     

    I emailed the author of the program Thomas Nieman asking if I can help do some custom profiles. I think we need a profile for the lens AND DOME combination together. I found out that his profiles are not made for close focus wide angle also - something to consider. Here's an excerpt from Thomas's email:

     

    "Many of your images are taken somewhat close-up. So, maybe this is the distortion you are seeing ... even after correction with PTLens. As a rule I don't correct for distances other than 50 feet... that would be too much work for one person."

     

    Cheers

    James

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.