Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Amphibico lights

Started by globaldiver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Amphibico lights

3 posts
  1. Does anyone have experience with the Amphibico 35/50w HID lights. Who is the original maker of the lights and what is the burn time?

     

    Cordially

     

    Anders

  2. anders,

     

    I believe amphibico mention the HID bulbs came from a manufacture that makes them for car head lights. As far as burn time, I believe 25 watt mode is around 90 minutes. 35 watt mode i think is around 60 to 70 minutes. I would check with ampibico to get correct times.

     

    I can't say for sure what burn times are because I haven't had the batteries die on me during a dive. At the depth I'm diving, my bottom times average around 45 to 55 minutes and there is still juice left.

     

    the positives, they are pretty rock steady, fairly tough and batteries last a long time.

     

    The negative, color tempurature is inconsistant. in 25 watt mode color tempurature ranges 4600 degrees Kelvin to around 6000 degrees kelvin(much like a cars HID lights). In 35 watt mode color temp drops lower, which is a bummer.

    Depending on your subject, it has a pretty noticable hot spot also.

     

    If you have a chance check out gates green force lights. I played with them at DEMA. they seem pretty hardy, have a consitant color tempurature and while they do seem to have a bit of a hot spot, It's definantly softer than amphibilco's hid.

     

    Here is a link to video shot with Amphibico's HIDS

     

    http://www.synergy-productions.com/html_fi...lf_diving2.html

     

     

    Good Luck,

    Edited by dudeunderwater
  3. Thanks,

     

    I am also looking at the Halcyon dual 50w HID, but WelchAllyn has stopped production of these bulbs. Halcyon has a stock pile for them that will last another year or two but after that you cannot buy the bulbs anymore..

     

    Nice lights but a hefty investment for short-term use like that.

    That is also why I have been looking at the Amphibico lights to possibly find another solution.

     

    Thanks for your information.

     

    Cordially

     

    Anders

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.