Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Which camera should I buy a housing for? Thanks!

Started by merstopher ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Which camera should I buy a housing for? Thanks!

6 posts
  1. Hi all!

     

    I have a fairly specific question and really appreciate the effort from those that respond.

     

    I have a nikon coolpix 5000 and a Sony DSC W7. I know that the coolpix is more versatile. But I also know that it will cost me a lot more to equip the coolpix for underwater use.

     

    My question: is it worth it to spend the extra 1000$ (or so) for a housing/strobe for the coolpix, or would I be relatively satisfied with the much cheaper housing for the Sony W7 (and get the same quality pictures as I would with the coolpix)?

     

    Background: I am a "point-and-shoot" photgrapher. I have a good eye for quality and a good eye for good pictures. Whichever camera I use I wouldn't change the settings much when fixed for underwater. Money is not much of a problem (although I certainly do not need to spend it on unnecessary prodiucts). The coolpix would be a dedicated underwater camera if that's the one I equipped for underwater use. I will likely not dive below 100 metres. I may adventure dive in the future if I have the chance.

     

    It seems like a strange question, but I am very new, I can't take photos underwater until I have the equiptment, I know I want to take good pictures, and the startup cost is big so I want to make the right choice. Suggestions?

     

    The bottom line is: if I use the coolpix as an underwater camera with the available accessories (green filter, strobe etc) will it far outperform the Sony W7 with it's available accessories.

     

    Thanks for your suggestions I appreciate it! This is a very useful forum.

     

     

    :)

  2. I would go with the CP 5000. The only UW faults with this camera for UW use is the shutter lag and poor low light autofocus. But the Ike housing with the optional dome port gives you the ability to get almost any shot without reconfiguring the housing and camera. The image quality is very good. You can use a strobe in ttl or manual. I prefer manual with the ike manual slave controller.

     

    Cost shouldn't be that bad. There are a lot of used housings for sale at a very reasonable price. The only thing I can say is that the CP 8400 and housing is better but the 5000 does small macro better.

     

    I'm not familiar with the Sony. Can it shoot manual? Can you hook up a strobe with a synch cord?

    Does it do small macro? Does it have a quality wide angle add on lens dedicated specifically to this camera? A no on any one of these and I don't believe it would be a quality UW system.

  3. Thanks for the info!

     

    The sony W7 was released recently, I got mine last week. It is a very compact 7.1 MP camera with the "Carl Zeiss" lens system. Designed to be a powerful point-and-shoot compact. So much less customizable than the CP5000. I believe lenses can be attached through an adapter, but the housing being made by sony looks to be small and designed for the camera as is (which should run 300-400$ I believe).

     

    As for you other questions, I don't have a clue. I am so new to underwater photography that I haven't even taken my first picture yet. Need a housing first! Through my limited research I know that I should have a green filter and strobe, but I certainly can't specify what my preferences will be.

     

    chris

  4. The W7's autofocus and extremely short shutter lag will blow away the old cp5000. I think I'd go that way. I found refusal to lock focus to be the number one cause of frustration, as the subject moves on, and it won't lock, and the composition is starting to fail, and it won't lock, and the fish is gone, and the shot goes off!

     

    The W7 does have manual exposure mode, does it not? If not, you may want to reconsider. Manual exposure mode is generally pretty necessary, for use with external strobes.

  5. I agree with Don. Don't go with a camera with slow focus, lots of lag, or slow write speed -- and you really want a manual mode (I sold my CP5000 w/ Ike housing and ports for under $700 on EBay earlier this year).

  6. really?

     

    okay, so i should donate my CP5000 to a friend, and outfit my new sony instead. i hope all of the equiptment is available for the W series sony's (and a housing to accomodate the equiptment)...

     

    :D

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.