Does anyone know if Olympus' up and coming 5050z digicam will fit perfectly into any of the existing housings for the 4040z and 4000z 's? In particular I'm looking at the Ikelite housing (#6130.1).
Anyone have any suggestions regarding the 5050z? Do you think it's worth delaying the purchase of a new digicam untill Olympus ship the new camreas? Or do you think there are current setups with as high quality imaging for better or equivalent value?
regards
David
David,
The new Olympus C5050Z will not fit perfectly into any of the existing housings for the C4000Z or C4040Z not even the Ikelite Oly housing because Oly revised the control layout of the camera. On the other hand, there's the Olympus PT-015 housing for the C5050Z. Expected release date of the housing is end of November. Price: tba
I have the same dilemma.... buy now with tried and tested rig.. 4040 & a PT010 or wait for a 5050 with the PT015... had a look around in europe and the price seems similar to the PT010 (maybe a little more)... what I like about the 5050 is that I'll be able to use my compact flash cards in it too... and the PT015 housing is rated an extra 10M over the PT010... down to 40M
HTH
Steve
for me it's not an issue about the depth rating (no medic will certify me for diving, so I'm restricted to ~10M and less). For me it's all about the picture quality. From what I've found, the 5050 offers nicer quality, including the neat macro setups (shame the super macro has the flash disabled), for only a bit more $'s.
regards
Dave
ps. anyone know any dive-medicos who are willing to certify people who've had lung damage (including a collapse) and are still in business? In the Sydney, Australia region would be even better :freak:
D
from what I was told by Ikelite, they are having a hard time even getting a 5050, so they have not been able to get a housing ready yet. this whole industry is a big waiting game.
last November, we took PT010 housings down past 30m, and they seemed to do fine.
same problems here in the UK... nowhere has any 5050's in stock and can only tell you "sometime in november"... I'm really keen to hold out as their cost is only slightly more than a 4040 and they seem to have a number of advantages.... fingers crossed i guess!