Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

A question about O-Rings

Started by dawktah ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

A question about O-Rings

3 posts
  1. I was cleaning one of my O-Rings and realized I can feel a rim around the ring where excess rubber was left in the manufacturing process from the meeting of the two halves of the mold. Does this excess material predispose ring to leaking? Is there a safe way to remove this or is it not something to be concerned about? I have used it without leakage but not at any significant depth.

     

    --Chris

    post-4525-1121141595_thumb.jpg

  2. This should not be on an O Ring.

     

    I have never encountered this on any engineering O Rings that we use here.

     

    Replace it - depending on where it falls on the seal face it could leak.

  3. Hi Chris,

     

    I have had big blue O rings with rims around them and haven't had any problems...

    ... so far !

     

    I guess as long as the rim isn't where the seal is made, you're OK. But if in doubt, you might want to check with your local dealer. I don't think performing surgery to remove it would be a very good idea.

     

    JP

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.