Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Not IF but WHEN!

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Not IF but WHEN!

8 posts
  1. Just to let you know, after an interval of eight years I managed to soak another camera, and, yes, it was my new adventure into the digital world with an S2 Pro and Nikon 12-24 zoom. They don’t do well in the water. So I speak true when I say its is not IF but it is WHEN! Funny but it was a Subal last time.

     

    The other point is that I now have to process 8Gb of pictures from RAW. Come back film (with cheaper than ever cameras). All is forgiven!

    Edited by John Bantin
  2. well .. your signature says ... if you need it you will get it .. looks like you need a new camera ... go get it ...

     

    flooding is always bad luck ..

     

    as Alex can confirm .. i almost flooded my d60 in the first week of getting it in the water after 5 years of no accidents (sort of) it was an amazing feat that the housing started to flood then decided not to .. i guess i will never know what happened but nothing has happened since.

    Edited by digitallywet
  3. JOhn, that sucks...

     

    Cool how the electronics fry isn't it? i have thrown a couple of peoples cameras right into the trash can in front of them on occassion, such fun!

  4. Good thing those digital cams come and go so fast they are throwaways.

    Seriously where did the leak happen on the subal?? Mark

  5. It was my fault. Isn't it always?

     

    I was doing a PADI OW course (as a student for a mag. feature on Nitrox For Free - I passed with flying colours every section apart from the camera-flooding section!)

     

    I needed to grab some pictures of everyone on the dive deck and only had the housed camera so I whipped the dome port off. You know how with the 12-24mm there is a second extention ring? Well, I must have turned it without noticing. So I whipped the dome port back on (badly as it happened) and jumped int the water with the others. It was obvious what had happened within seconds.

     

    What I found interesting is 1) how difficult it was to get the lithium batteries out of the camera because it needs dismounting from the Subal housing camera chassis with a screwdriver or similar - and 2) how the lithium batteries catch fire so easily! I am told that the lithium is so dangerous at this time it can burn right through your skin and you die a horrible deasth a few years later. I will try to keep you informed on that one.

     

    The only damge to the housing was the leak detector because the battery would not come out easily.

     

    Luckily I kept the air space at the top which saved the synch wiring.

     

    New kit located. Picking it up on Monday.

    Edited by John Bantin
  6. Sorry to hear about your flood, John.

     

    At least it wasn't the whole boat!

     

    Alex

  7. Well thats another story. I was on Heaven Majesty two weeks ago at Shaab Sataya when we woke up to find Coral Queen sinking next to us!

    post-4197-1121532683_thumb.jpg

    Edited by John Bantin
  8. I was at Mike's on Saturday getting some tanks pumped and I bumped into one of the unfortunate guests. He said your T-Shirt fits him really well !

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.