Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Macro with the Olympus C4040: Laz did it again

Started by herbko ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro with the Olympus C4040: Laz did it again

4 posts
  1. Today I read a post from Laz on that other BB site about his observation that the Olympus C4040/3030 has a sweet spot for macro focusing that is 4 tabs of the zoom lever back from full telephoto. He's posted this comment here awhile ago, and I was skeptical and too lazy at the time to check it out.

     

    I overcame my lazyness today and took a few test shots and learned that he was right! Sorry for doubting you Laz.

     

    The details are too long to put here. I've made a page on my site summerizing the test. It's at http://home.attbi.com/~uwphoto/Macro4040/M....Macro4040.html

     

    Go Laz!

  2. Herb,

     

    What's a tab??

  3. tab ~ tabulator ~ push the zoom lever slightly ?

  4. Just tab on the level enough to get the zoom to move; minimum change in zoom.

     

    I don't know if the movement of the zoom is quantized and "4 tabs" as instructed by Laz is really precise. That's why I now set my C4040 to start at zoom setting "80mm". Macro focusing is definitely better there, and one tab toward WA is still better.

     

    Herb

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.