Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Slide Show Image Size

Started by tomc ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Slide Show Image Size

6 posts
  1. Slide Show Image Size

     

    I want to display a full screen picture in my slideshow. My 20D camera produces an image that has a 5:3 aspect ratio. My computer display has a 4:3 ratio.

     

    I save my slideshow images as 1024 x 768 pixel jpg file and I can only do this by cropping with a fixed 4:3 ratio crop before using save-as. I am using Photoshop CS2 for post processing.

     

    When I want to crop to a particular part of the picture, it is not a problem. But there are times when I do not want to lose part of the image. When I use pictures of different sizes in the slideshow, it has a distracting look. I am using Proshow Gold for slideshow program.

     

    Am I missing something here? Is there a way in either program to produce or display full screen images without cropping or resizing?

     

    TomC :D

  2. Hi Tom,

     

    Go to File -> Automate -> Fit Image

     

    Select a width of say 1024 and a height of 768 (or bigger depending on your monitor or projector).

     

    You can create an action using Fit Image to resize all of your images for a show.

     

    Hope that helps

    James

  3. Thanks for the input, James.

     

    Continuing...

     

    That function fits the image to the width & height that you specify, w/o changing the image aspect ratio. Therefore, if I insert 1024 x 768 in the dialogue boxes, I end up with 1024 x 8?? (some number larger than 768). When this new image is shown on a projector won’t the projector trim the height of the image?

     

    Tom

  4. Hi Tom...

     

    I don't consider myself a "techy" person but when I resize my photos for Proshow I also resize to 1024 x 768 and uncheck the constrain proportions and the magic works. Sometimes I crop and then do the 1024 x 768 and sometimes I don't. It seems to work. All the images are the same size in the slide show unless I forget to do one. The images fill the screen on my pc or if I show them on my TV it's a full screen image.

     

    Dennis D is having a Proshow class Saturday.

  5. Hi back, mreid

     

    I tried unchecking the constrain proportion box but I believe that stretches the 768-pixel plane and could slightly distort the image.

     

    I think that the best answer is to set the 768-pixel dialogue box first and let the PhotoShop generate the other pixel number. But the other pixel number will be more than 1024-pixels, so we are back where we started with the same problem.

     

    Thanks for your reply. I am eager to hear how people handle this situation.

    I plan on attending the workshop on Saturday. Hope to see you there.

     

    Tom

  6. I'm sure somebody at Saturday's workshop will have an answer. I'll be there and listening in.

     

    Its quite the catch-22. If you uncheck constrain proportions, then you'll get some sort of stretching/distortion that will make the image look unnatural. It may not be enough to be noticed by most folks, but certain things will look off. However, if you leave constrain proportions checked, then a portion of your image will be cropped during the slideshows.

     

    I wonder if there is some sort of Photoshop plug-in/action that stretch an image in a given direction without getting any distortion and without any noticable loss of quality.

     

    Another option is to maybe shoot for slideshows. This means that you'd frame and compose your shots such that they'd be croppable to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

     

    Just thinking out loud and waiting for the freeway traffic to lighten up so I can go home.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.