Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Where to find Kodak CC40 R?

Started by Matetes ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Where to find Kodak CC40 R?

11 posts
  1. Hi,

    I've been trying to buy a piece of Kodak CC 40 R gel.... with no success so far...

    I haven't been able to find it in any of the shops I'va contacted (in Spain, France and Portugal).

    Any idea on where may I find this gel?

    Thanks

    Matetes

  2. You can try in B&H

    You'll have to pay for the shipment but it’s not supposed to cost much since it’s a really small package.

  3. We don't have it in England either! Kodak USA still make it but Kodak distributors in most European countries don't hold it in stock. If you pester them they can order it from the States and it takes about 4 weeks to get across the pond.

     

    CC40R is an excellent filter for blue water, but I have found it only works in a very narrow depth range - say 3-5m. As long as your subject is in that depth range you are fine. It is too strong at the surface and at 7m I have not produced pleasing results.

     

    The images I took for this feature were all taken between 3.5-4.5m.

    http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/filters-and...ht-photography/

     

    This restrictive depth range is why I know prefer other solutions.

     

    Alex

  4. Thanks, Alex...

    Is your Magic Filter covering a broader range of depth?

    Cheers

    matetes

  5. Yes - the magic is good from just below the surface to 15m. These pix, both taken with the magic, are from the surface (dolphins) and 15m (stingray). Available light only:

    1m.jpg15ma.jpg

     

    I keep forgetting that although I have written an instruction manual and a website for the filter in the last week nobody has seen them yet! Hopefully I will be able to make the Magic website public next week. Just waiting for more images from those who have shot it. Plus I don't want to generate too much interest before we are ready to supply.

     

    The two main design criteria for the Magic were:

    1) to fit on the lenses we really want to use it on (fisheyes and other ultra wides that do not take front mounted filters)

    2) to work over a wide depth range. This filter takes a different approach to others to achieve this - its explained on the website, which should be live soon.

     

    Alex

     

    p.s So I don't completely hi-jack your thread - a CC40R is still a useful filter to have in the bag. At least for the next few weeks until the Magic is ready!

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  6. Matetes

     

    You can find it in Sweden. Send e email to niclas.blyberg@molanders.se

     

    I just have order one untill Alexs filter is available.

     

    Lambis

  7. Thanks, Lambis

    Cheers

    matetes

  8. I just recieve the CC 40R filter and cut it like the show in the picture.

    post-4107-1123190505_thumb.jpg

    First, the filter is sitting "lose" in the Gel holder. Is ti normal?

    Second, how we clean Gel filters?

     

    Lambis

  9. Gelatin gel filters are very delicate and very hard to clean without scratching. They also dissolve in water - so keep them dry.

     

    This is why we went with much harder wearing polyester optical quality gels for the magic filter.

     

    Alex

  10. Also take a look at theatrical lighting filters, 'gel' (plastic)

     

    There are 3 major manufactures Lee, Rosco and GAM. each makes at least 300 different colors, they also make color correction filters for many uses. Netural Densities and much more.

     

    Typical price is about $5.00 for a 20"x22" sheet.

     

    Each manufacture has swatch books samples (usually free from retailers).

     

    There are retailers all across the world that sells this stuff. Look in phone books under Theatrical Supplies

     

    If you need the name of a retailer on the west coast just ask.

     

    Stuart

  11. The problem with lighting gels is that they are not optical quality. They are fine to use over strobes, but they will significantly degrade image quality if used on a lens.

     

    But they are certainly fine for experimenting. Most of those companies also make optical quality versions of their gels, which are more like the typical Kodak gel price of $55 for a 3"x3".

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...arch&Q=&ci=5037

     

    It is very hard to make gels up to optical quality as they must be completely parallel and have consistent density. This is why optical quality gels are so much more pricey.

     

    Alex

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.