Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

International Baggage Limits Changed Back

Started by kdietz ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

International Baggage Limits Changed Back

7 posts
  1. Good News........I was doing some baggage limitation research for an upcoming trip and see that AA and Continental (the only ones I"ve checked) have raised their maximum check-in weight for international travel back to 70 pounds per bag...2 max.

     

    This may be old news, but it's new to me :):D

     

    Karl

  2. 70lbs now thats err.... 31.7514659kg in english money - great news !!

  3. Most trans-atlantic flights out of the UK (and presumably europe) have these limits (2 bags at 32kg). The bad news is that when we fly east the limit (on the same planes) drops to 20kg (44lb) total hold baggage and 5kg cabin baggage.

     

    I have spent a long time paring down my kit and I fly with 32kg of hold baggage - clothes, dive kit, housing, ports, strobes and accessories. Cameras, lenses + computer is carried on. As a result I own a lot of very light and very poor divekit!

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  4. So if you have a case with all the camera equipment in it, aand one with you clothes wetsuites etc, do most people get charged for extra baggage? If so, how much??

     

    James

  5. James, on most airlines for international travel from the US you are allowed 2 checked bags at 70# each and a carry on at 40# per traveller. You will be charged if you are overweight, oversized and have additional bags.

     

    Always verify with the airlines you are travelling with before a trip so you don't have any surprises.

     

    BTW, I don't have trouble getting my dive gear, photo gear and clothes in 2 70# bags plus a backpack with computer and more photo gear.

     

    A 50# limit per bag isn't possible for me without leaving behind a lot of redundant gear :):D

     

    Karl

  6. You guys are so spoiled :)

    I am stuck with 20kg check-in almost everytime. I travel with around 45kg check-in stuffs pretty much everywhere (not including the 2 carry-on that my poor back has to carry, about 15kg).

    Depending on the mood of the check in clerk, sometimes they gave me a nasty look and did not say anything. If I can help it, I would group check with a few other fellow divers and they are usually ok about that. Sometimes when my karma is down, it is time to whip out the credit card. Sometimes the extra fee was high enough that I just upgrade to business class and they would ignore my excess baggage limit.

    This past Lembeh trip I just sent half of my stuffs out with the liveaboard when they departed Thailand. All my stuffs are on the boat now since I am going back there in 5 weeks and probably will just ask them to bring everything back on the boat since the boat is coming back a month after my September trip.

    Sometimes I wish I never heard of wetpixel and never learned the existence of dSLR :D

  7. That's a sad story Boi :):D:D:(

     

    Karl

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.