Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Need help with this little crab thingy

Started by ssra30 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Need help with this little crab thingy

5 posts
  1. From Lembeh, this little crab was found on a spine of fire urchin.

    I have seen it a few times throughout SE Asia but could not find its name through my usual sources and books.

     

    Thanks for any info.

     

    crab_on_fire_urchin.jpg

  2. The common crab on these anemones is Zebrda adamsii - but these are stripey so I don't think that this is what you have here.

     

    I would guess (and I stress guess) that this might be a young swimming crab, rather than a urchin commensal.

     

    I'll be interested to hear what others think.

     

    Alex

  3. Do you have any images of the back? That would be a big help in figuring out the name.

  4. Hi

     

    it's definitively not an eumedoniid (the family where Zebrida belongs to)

     

    looks indeed like a small portunid (swimming crab)

     

    maybe it's the sea urchin symbiont Lissocarcinus arkati

    I found a photo of Lissocarcinus arkati from the web in my files, and post it here, maybe you'll recognize the crab

     

    if not, it's just a juvenile free-living swimming crab who found a shelter among urchin spines

     

    cheers

     

    Art

    post-1504-1122670931_thumb.jpg

  5. Leslie, sorry, I don't have picture of the back of the crab. It was on an urchin in a middle of a big heaps of fire urchin so I only managed to get picture from one angle only :) .

     

    Art, All that I remember was that it looked semi transparent and did not remember seeing any pattern or other coloration on the back at all. The back did not look like the picture of the Lissocarcinus arkati that you posted.

    Edited by ssra30

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.