Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

iPod Photo for storage

Started by TimG ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

iPod Photo for storage

8 posts
  1. Hey Guys

     

    Has anyone any experience of storing RAW files on one of the new iPod Photos? Apple now have an accessory which allows a digital camera to be plugged directly into an iPod. I wondered whether a Nikon D100 would be recognised (its not on the Apple approved list of cameras) and whether RAW images could be viewed (I'm guessing not).

     

    A 60GB iPod as a music/photo storage device sounds excellent: flexible, useful, not too expensive. But I'm not sure it would work as well as we would all want with big files.

     

    Any thoughts?

  2. There are many other devices which will serve you better. Especially if you don't own the iPod already.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I agree with James ... I looked into this earlier on in the year I ended up buying an Ipod but just a cheap 20gig for music.

     

    However if you want to try it out ... I would recommnd the belkin adaptors for transferring from cards to ipod rather than the apple or the belkin camera to ipod.

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=158350

  4. Thanks guys. I've not tried the Belkin adaptor, but I read somewhere that it is annoyingly slow.

     

    I'll try and have a go with this new camera/iPod adaptor and report back.

     

    I am sure James is right about there being better gadgets. But isn't it SO tempting.... I love my 20GB iPod and the thought of being able to combine music with my u/w pictures is almost bringing on a sugar-rush.

  5. To this point, it seems like the card-reader and camera connector solutions for using the iPod are very slow. This many not be much of a problem for people shooting lower-res or jpg images. But once you start shooting big RAW files on 2GB and 4GB cards, the issue becomes problematic. Still, I find a 60GB ipod is an easy, convenient and acceptable fast device for keeping my music handy AND using as an external hard drive to back up image files from my laptop computer's internal drive.

  6. You are right, ReefRoamer.

     

    I have just experimented with my Nikon D100, shooting on RAW and JPG with the Apple Photo Connector and a 60GB Photo iPod.

     

    Connections and operation were very easy. However to move 10 RAW files (just under 100MB) to the iPod took a little over 3.25 minutes. So that's around 30 minutes for 1GB. Yoiks.

     

    Not surprisingly, the iPod Photo handled small JPGs well and would display them too. However when loaded, RAW files were labelled "RAW" and when selected a warning was displayed that such files would have to be viewed through a PC.

     

    So, yep, very slow - but doable as a RAW storage device if you have the patience - and I suspect, the iPod plugged into mains power as well as the camera.

  7. If you come to think about it 30min is not that bad cosidering you have to be on the surface depending on your PG. Its normaly 30min - 1h so its not that bad. On the downside you can't view the Raw pics on the iPod. For the price I think its good compared to other PSD's like the Epson since you get 60GB on the iPod.

    Edited by mayanez
  8. Have any of you heard anything about a item for the ipod called "ialbum" by sakar.com that is a direct sd reader for the 5th gen photo i pod?>

     

    see this link

     

    http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments...d-memory-stick/

     

     

     

    Leif

    Edited by segal3
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.