Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Taking the plunge

Started by timoma ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Taking the plunge

5 posts
  1. OK,

     

    After lurking here for quite some time and since I have now finally decided to take the plunge into digital also underwater, I think it's time to introduce myself.

     

    My real name is Timo Ahomäki and I live in Espoo, Finland. I have been photographing on and off since I was about 10 years old when my father gave me an old all-manual Petri camera. Things then progressed to a Canon AE1, A1 and then after shifting to Nikons in the early 90's I had an F50 then an F80 that I still have and now a D100 for topside use for the past 2 years. My main subjects topsides include nature shots in the Finnish archipelago and - of course - my kids. I have some published images in Finnish press, mainly from my underwater collection, but I concider myself firmly an amateur photographer.

     

    I started underwater photography about five years ago using rented MM2's and later my club's MM2. I bought a Hugyfot Atlan 81 housing for my F80 in 2002 complete with ports for Nikon/Sigma FE lenses, Tamron 90mm macro and the Sigma 24mm. My main topics today are the wrecks of my home waters in the Northern Baltic. Arctic Norway is another favourite destination as is the red sea when I can make it. However, a job in management of an international IT company and two young kids make shure I do not have much time to travel for leisure.

     

    Now, two weeks ago I placed an order for the Hygyfot housing for Nikon D70, complete with the Heinrichs-Weikamp iTTL chip. Delivery is scheduled for next week when I'm in Belgium for business anyway. The D100 will go and a D70s is on order, for now the film gear will stay for B&W wreckscapes. I'll post a review of the new stuff when I have a few dives on the gear. I'll also try it for my wreck photography as soon as possible.

     

    As for wetpixel, I found this a very informative forum, albeit at times a bit too equipment focussed, but such is the world of Internet forums in general.

     

    Keep up the good work,

     

    timo

  2. Hi Timo

     

    JUst curious why you decided to go for a D70 instead of housing your D100 ?

  3. Well,

     

    Mostly TTL. Both underwater and topsides.

     

    As we know, the D100 is probably going to be the only camera Nikon ever makes with DTTL, so it seemed to make sense to go for iTTL in stead. So the D70 at least provides me an upgrade path for strobes etc. in the future. Other than that, the D100 has served me well.

     

     

    timo

  4. Welcome Timo.....good to have another D70 user :o:(

     

    Karl

  5. I'd like to add my welcome, Time! You have joined a very nice community.

     

    All the best, James

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.