Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

red mite revisited

Started by Leslie ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

red mite revisited

2 posts
  1. A while ago Lndr posted this image of an odd red crustacean. I was never satisfied with the tentative id "red mite" so I downloaded the image to be able to show it to any & all crustacean people I encountered. Yesterday I showed it to Jim Thomas, an amphipod expert, who immediated id'ed it as an Podocerus amphipod. He said the red color, clinging posture, and orientation of the legs were all quite characteristic of the genus. Other members of the genus are nudibranch mimics & have gorgeous coloration - see

    http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=2641 and

    http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=2608

    post-2918-1123083662_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi Leslie,

     

    Thanks for putting a name to this amphipod, we just call it the red amphipod. There is a very similar one which has a prominant white stripe down its back.

     

    cheers

    Lndr

    Edited by Lndr

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.