Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Queen Angel lips

Started by mntlblok ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Queen Angel lips

4 posts
  1. post-4781-1123555042_thumb.jpgpost-4781-1123555343_thumb.jpg

    I managed to get one shot of a queen angel *with* flash before the flash stopped working, so I know that they didn't have lavender lips over in the Bahamas last month.

     

    I took a lot of shots of queen angels the rest of the week with no flash. The problem I've been having is properly processing the images.

     

    With most of my images, I've found that I can use the three "Auto" options under "Enhance" in Photoshop Elements 2.0, along with one dose of "More Sharpen" to fairly quickly get in the ballpark to see which images make the "first cut".

     

    However, with the "no flash" queen angels, this set of adjustments left me with queenies with lavenderish pink accessories.

     

    Even if I only went to "Levels > New Adjustment Layer > Levels" and slid the outside arrows in to where the histogram edges were, I still tended to get into some lavender.

     

    I "think" this shouldn't have been adding too much red, as it seems to be just enough to change the fairy basslet from blue to purple (which I think is its correct coloration). It also doesn't turn the chromis purple as the "Auto" routine tends to do.

     

    I'd love to get some expert advice before putting any lavender-lipped queenies up on a web site. Help! TIA

     

    I'll post the "Auto" and "regular" levels in another post to show the pink/lavender.

     

    Kevin Bryant

    Savannah

     

    Canon Digital Rebel (300), kit lens

    DS-125 (now *2* - one repaired, one new) :-)

    Ikelite eTTL housing

    Edited by mntlblok
  2. post-4781-1123557232_thumb.jpgpost-4781-1123557270_thumb.jpg

     

    showing the lavender lips after the two types of "Levels" adjustments. see previous post

     

    Kevin Bryant

    Savannah

  3. post-4781-1123557682_thumb.jpgpost-4781-1123557701_thumb.jpg

     

    Oops. That shot didn't have the chromis in the upper right.

     

    Kevin Bryant

  4. post-4781-1123724136_thumb.jpg As I slog through more and more of these photos, the more I'm becoming convinced that some of the Bahamian queen angelfish have the colour variation of having lavender highlights. :lol:

     

    This one wasn't up under a ledge as many were. Feel free to fiddle with this out-of-the-camera, but cropped and resized, jpeg and see what color this critter ought to be. (Available light, late in the afternoon shot).

     

    Kevin

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.