Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Workflow Question.

Started by johnChenault ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Workflow Question.

6 posts
  1. I like to shoot my Nikon D-70 in Raw+Jpeg mode. I find the initial culling of bad images terribly slow.

     

    When I load my images onto my computer (Mac not Windows) I separate the card into two directories - one holding the .jpg images and one holding the .nef files. I then use NikonVue on the .jpg files and check the ones that are worth keeping (IE not horrible). Then I move the un-checked files to trash. I have scripts that then filter out bad .nef files so I am left with 'reasonable' images to work with.

     

    My problem is that the process to bring up the view, delete files, etc is SLOW. What I would really like is some fast way to view the file and decide if I want to delete it or not. If I decided to delete it I could quickly move it to trash.

     

    Anybody have such a program? Any suggestions as to ways to make the initial filtering of images fast? Sitting for minutes to bring up thumbnails in nikon vue is killing me.

  2. :lol: John,

     

    Lets talk about this one when you are down here in a few weeks. Along with looking at cool moving light and projection stuff.

     

    I dont run into long delays viewing raw/jpg combos, I get pretty good times through native explorer (the OS I use) and try to stay away from anyone else's software when ever possible (such as nikon)

     

    Have you been anywhere fun recently????

     

    See ya soon

    Stuart

  3. Nikon View Mac is much slower than Nikon View PC. I have the rather cluttsey system of doing my sorting in NV on the PC and then moving the remaining files to the Mac for editing in PS.

  4. Have a look at Photoshop CS 2. The Bridge component (file viewer) is very versatile and fast in my PC.

  5. I agree use Adobe Bridge to quickly view and delete your pics. It's fast on Mac too so you wont have a problem.

  6. You might be interested in Photo Mechanic. I tried it on my Mac and it was faster than Photoshop CS for browsing. You can try it for a short period of time to test it out before buying it. The link to it is:

     

    http://www.camerabits.com/pages/PM4.html

     

    Good luck and let me know how you like it; hopefully this will be helpful to you.

     

    -Karen

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.