Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Another shrimp for Art

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Another shrimp for Art

4 posts
  1. This crinoid shrimp doesn't seem to match the descriptions I've read: it has vertical markings, not horizontal, and has long antennae, and short "arms". The only other photo I've found that is similar is one by Takako Uno, taken in Sulawesi. This is from Gili Banta, Indonesia. It's a Periclimenes, but is it Periclimenes amboinensis? Inquiring minds want to know!

    post-1116-1123899092_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi marli

     

    extremely difficult to say, there are a number of Periclimenes (and a few other pontoniine genera, like Pontoniopsis) on crinoids

     

    it looks indeed like Periclimenes cf. amboinensis, but could also be P. commensalis

     

    the shrimp has anteriorly extended relatively small & symmetrical chelipeds, I will check which of the Periclimenes has this feature, and compare the colour patterns, too

     

    I am completely "non-functional" right now, 2 weeks before the big move from Canada to Panama, literature & books are all packed or already on the way to Panama

     

    send me a higher resolution version to my email

     

    also, do you have a lateral shot (need to see the rostrum)

     

    cheerio

     

    Art

  3. Hey Art,

     

    From Canada to Panama? You should at least wait till oct no? (at least if you're on the west coast...)

    Ahh, no more Canadian winters....smart!

  4. ;)

     

    well Mike, I definitively shouldn't wait till October, I am in Edmonton, and right now it's +9 C, rain, chilly wind .. just awful ! and winter .. -20 to -30C - I was suffering here for the last 3 years .. that's enough ! time to leave Deadmonton behind !

     

    Art

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.