Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

10d - underwater lenses

Started by deep3dude ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

10d - underwater lenses

6 posts
  1. I have a Canon 10D and a canon 17-40 4.0 zoom.

     

    I am about to order a housing and port system and have some doubts about whether the 17-40 is good underwater. IS this lense a good underwater lense. What would be better for WA.

     

    I have not done alot of macro shooting but was concidering a 100MM Canon lense. Is this a good lense for Macro or would a 50MM lense be better? It occurred to me I would not want to be too far away from my subject as I shoot in cold water near Vancouver island and the water is not always clear.

     

    Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

  2. The 17-40mm is a decent underwater lens, but not the best.

     

    A lot of Canon users here on Wetpixel like the Sigma 15mm and also the Canon 100m. But I think that you make a good point that the 50mm might be better in your conditions.

     

    Alex

  3. The Sigma is peferred over the canon version?

  4. Given the vis we get in local waters (yes, I dive in BC as well...with a 10D), you might be better served with a wider lens like the 15mm Fisheye...either by Sigma or Canon. Optically, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the 2 lenses.

     

    The 17-40L would be a nice critter lens especially for the large ling cods and plumose anemones as well as seals and octopus. I've gotten great shots of the giant orange nudibranchs with my 16-35L.

     

    For macro, we don't really have teeny tiny critters except for the candy stripe shrimp...for those a 100 macro is preferred but you get really good results and a broader selection of critters to capture...say grunt sculpins with the 50 macro.

     

    My favorite underwater lens at the moment is the EF28-105 zoom. With that lens, I can easily get decent shots anywhere from Lingcod size down to larger Nudi's.

     

    My 2 cents.

     

    stu

    Edited by scubastu
  5. Thanks scubaastu, what housing do you have the 10D in?

  6. It's a Subal C10.

     

    s.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.