Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Should I get a hydrophone/microphone on a housing?

Started by WolfyWho ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Should I get a hydrophone/microphone on a housing?

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    Is it worth getting a hydrophone on an underwater video housing? Will the internal microphone on the camera pick up any sound on the outside of the unit, without a hydrophone? I've seen some footage online, and when I do hear the actual underwater sounds it's usually the bubbles from people breathing, and noises from knocking the housing around itself. Is a hydrophone worth the extra money?

     

    Any input would be much appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

    Scott

    Edited by WolfyWho
  2. I've mostly ignored the audio when I import to my timeline anyway. Unless youve got some really interesting sound that you'd like to record on a regular basis. My cameras mike inside the (gates) housing has picked up most of the unusual sounds anyway....whalesong, clownfish attacking the lens, buddy whooping with joy thru his regs etc etc. You can add most other sound effects whilst editing, so I wouldnt see the point in the hydrophone.

     

    Neil

  3. My cameras mike inside the (gates) housing has picked up most of the unusual sounds anyway....whalesong, clownfish attacking the lens, buddy whooping with joy thru his regs etc etc.

     

    Thanks Neil. If it's possible to pick up that kind of stuff with the camera's mic itself, then I think that will be good enough for me.

     

    Scott

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.