Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Used dSLR v. New Digicam

Started by Peter_S. ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Used dSLR v. New Digicam

6 posts
  1. Upgrading from C750 and I am torn between a new C7070 / Nikon 8400 or a used Fuji S2 Pro. However have heard horror stories of used dSLRs suffering expensive (ie terminal) sensor failure. Any one got any experience of or other opinions on used dSLRs?

     

    I realise dSLR costs generally much higher and will take a lot of getting used to but the S2 Pro seems like a v. good bit of kit and a few are coming onto eBay as people upgrade.

  2. early S2 faces the problem of CCD failures but almost everyone i heard from has theirs replaced by Fuji FOC, regardless of warranty status...

     

    I like the S2 for its color saturation and ability to use old film strobes for TTL. Ultimately, i sold it off and considering the D70 now becos of the better flash syn speed. Fuji can only syn to 1/125 and i can never get those nice sun streaks with it in CFWA.

     

    Just my personal experiece.

     

    Eric

  3. Hi Peter

     

    After some agonisng over costs and portability, I upgraded about a year ago from a prosumer Coolpix5000 to a DSLR. It was a terrific move. The increased flexibilty and quick-fire reaction of a DSLR was more than worth it. My photos have got better and, perhaps even more importantly, my enjoyment has grown.

     

    Sorry, I can't tell you anything about second-hand S2s but the concept of switching has proved well worth-while for me and I am glad I did not upgrade my prosumer camera.

  4. I'd go for a second hand DSLR. There are many photographers who wanna have the latest camera - and are prepared to discard their already excellent DSLR to finance it. There are some great deals around.

     

    If you mainly shoot wide angle or macro of non-moving/slow moving critters the difference is small. If you shoot moving marine life then a DSLR is a massive advantage.

     

    Alex

  5. Ditto the above. Another strategy to consider is to upgrade to higher level used consumer digcam. You can get good deals on used dSLRs and their housings but you can get GREAT deals on used digicams and their housings. The digicams are obsolete sooner and their housings hold their value poorly.

  6. Hi Peter,

     

    Just adding my 2 cents' worth...

    In short, advantages of dSLR v/s consumer digicam: virtually no shutter lag, can take several shots in quick succession, can shoot in RAW, use quality sensors and lenses, etc.

    Down sides of dSLRs: higher initial cost, stuck with choice of lens for entire dive, heavier and bulkier than digicam.

     

    In case all this adds to your confusion, I can tell you that for me, shifting to a dSLR has proved a very positive experience that I would definitely recommend...

     

    Mathieu

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.