Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Archiving to DVD-RAM

Started by james ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Archiving to DVD-RAM

4 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    Found this on techbargains.com:

     

    http://store.yahoo.com/livewarehouse/dvpa76700.html

     

    It burns 4.7 gig single sided ant 9.4 gig double sided DVD-ROM's.

     

    How long does it take to burn a 4.7 gig disk?

     

    $173 is awesome!

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Oh, blank disks are around a buck.

  3. I'm thinking about a dvd burner for more than a year now. It obviously has many advantages, not only to burn lots of stills or even whole slideshows to show them on TV later on but also to archive my video clips.

    The prices for burners and blank disks are ok now but the problem is the missing standard - as long as the industry doesn't agree to a common base you might end up with dvd's you can't read anymore in the near future. (Remember what happened to those other video systems)

     

    Sabine

  4. I'd stay away from DVD-RAM, and get DVD-RW or DVD+RW.

     

    DVD-RW will be around for awhile, because the discs they write can be made to be compatible with consumer DVD video players, and DVD+RW is being adopted because it is currently "better" than DVD-RW for computer archival purposes.

     

    I bought a DVD-RW drive to do archiving, but find it a bit unwieldy because multiple sessions aren't supported yet. You have to burn the entire DVD at once.

     

    DVD+RW seems better for data, in my opinion.

     

    But since I have so many GBs of photos, I use a VXA tape backup now. 33GB on a single tape. :blink:

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.