Hi Rob,
My opinion is that the direct to DVD recording camcorders are just a gimmick. Not sure that I see the sole advantage of immediately watching footage from disc. I dont know anyone who doesnt enjoy even a minimal amount of editing on the computer to tidy up their shots. Mini DV tape has done the job for years so I suggest you stay with tape.
The "mini DVD" on the camera you are looking at, causes even more fuss by having you transfer to normal DVD and then finalise the disc before playing in on a player!
Being limited to 18 mins footage per dive could prove disasterous if it turns out to be the best dive in history! ( ie. whales,dolphins and sharks swimming in formation around you
) DV tape will give you 60 mins.
Not sure that all the housing companies do one for that model either ,Ikelite does tho', and I wouldnt go near the sony housing.
I'd suggest that you look at the cheaper 3CCD cameras. Some of the older models are real workhorses and have been recommended for years. I reckon the DVD camcorders will become obsolete pretty fast.
.......but thats just my opinion....
Neil