Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Which direction to go with housing

Started by vkalia ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Which direction to go with housing

10 posts
  1. Hi all -

     

    I'm looking to replace my old Olympus PT-00x housing, which, along with my C3000, has gone to the great deco chamber in the sky. It was ok for the price, but I need something better now.

     

    Ideally, I'd like to get a housing for one of my DSLRs (20D and 1DMk2), but I'm concerned about flooding them - no insurance where I am. So I have decided to get a housing for my film SLR - an EOS 30 - for now, and if I managed to avoid flooding it, then upgrade to a housing for a DSLR later.

     

    I'm leaning towards an Ikelite housing and 2 of their DS-125 strobes. Re. lenses, I have a 100mm macro lens, and will probably pick up a 20mm lens for wideangles. I would like to get the Sigma 20/1.8 - anyone know if Ikelite makes a port for it? Their website doesnt indicate one, but maybe the port for the Canon 20/2.8 works with this one as well?

     

    What do you guys think of this set-up? I'll be using the equipment a lot (atleast 2-3 times a week for 4-5 months in a row) in a tropical environment. I'm a reasonably competent photographer above land, and want something good, which gives me a lot of creative control (read: automation with lots of manual overrides).

     

    What would YOU select, were you in my shoes?

     

    Cheers,

    Vandit

  2. The 20D is a fine choice for underwater. Don't spend all of that money to house an obsolete film camera.............

  3. Quiet Ike, you play this right and he might buy 2 ikelite housings instead of one....

     

    But I have to agree with Ike, Your plan seams like a waste of money to me. And DEPP sells insurance to people in all locations.

  4. Using a non digital camera for a wile without flooding won't help you when you get the DSLR at the end, contrary, since a lot of us says that flooding is not a matter of 'if' but only a 'when' its just increase the statistics against you :)

    I wont investigate now on a non digital system especially if you know you want a digital in the end.

  5. Yeah, I agree with the guys. Because of the nature of floods, you are not going to learn how to avoid them by using a film SLR; you are just going to spend a lot of money on something which is obsolete - and which will give you a much longer and steeper leaning curve.

     

    Go digital and find a company which will insure you - they do exist.

  6. Well, I wouldnt quite classify film as being "obsolete" - this comes from someone who shoots almost 100% digital these days. While RAW is great, shooting film lets me use a real wideangle prime (with close focus), and I can always scan later. So while not my ideal solution, it is a workable solution.

     

    As for insurance - trust me, nothing is available in the Andaman Islands, where we have our dive center. I cannot even get our blasted dive boats insured. And even if DEPP were to insure me overseas, I'd pay 50% customs duty on any replacement cameras that they'd send me.

     

    I guess another way of making this decision is - how likely is the housing to flood? This whole "when not if" bit is a bit worrisome, especially for someone like me, who is not the most careful when it comes to gear maintenance.

     

    If the odds are low, then I might pick up a Rebel 350D/300D and use that. If odds are medium to high, then I'll stick with film for a few years.

     

    Vandit

  7. About Insurance: Try to talk to DEPP about possibities to avoid this (pick it up pn you next trip outside india etc.) they are very helpful. Maybe you can work out something.

     

    Off topic: Can you tell us something about your dive center and travel possibilities. Adaman Islands sound very interesting, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so on this forum ;-)

     

    Simon

    Edited by Simon K.
  8. Hi Simon -

     

    I've emailed DEPP - let's see what they have to offer. I am looking into the option of getting an inexpensive DSLR, like the D50 or the Rebel 350D, and getting a housing for that. The 20D and the 1D Mk2 are used for my wildlife photography work, and I dont really want to risk ruining one of them, especially if I have a trip coming up.

     

    Re. the Andamans - check out our website at www.diveindia.com for info on the islands, how to get there, etc. The most amazing thing about here is the amazing variety of fish (second only to the Barrier Reef in species count), and also the type/colors of coral, which is supposed to be among the best in the world. Vis varies, depending on the time of the year. For photographers, Jan-May is the best time, peaking in Mar/Apr/May, which is also manta season.

     

    I dont want to go on and on about it, as people generally frown on using boards for commercial purposes, but if members of this group are interested in diving/photography in the Andamans, drop me an email at vkalia@diveindia.com and I can set you guys up with a private boat and DM at a nominal extra fee (call it my way of thanking the collective experience of this forum, upon which I am going to be drawing on as I get started in underwater photography on a more serious basis).

     

    Cheers,

    Vandit

  9. Sounds terrific Vandit! You may well be hearing from us......

     

    Good luck with the decision: and apologies for calling film "obsolete". It's not, of course. Well, errr, not yet anyway :)

  10. OK, so you have Canon glass. You might want to check Ebay from time to time as there are Sea and Sea CX housings for the old film Rebel that are quite cheap.

     

    Otherwise, get an Ikelite 20D housing and DS125's - you'll love it!

     

    Cheers

    James

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.