Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Mantis shrimp in Cozumel??

Started by AndreSmith ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Mantis shrimp in Cozumel??

3 posts
  1. Just returned from Cozumel - two great weeks had by all. I was very surprised to see this mantis shrimp on a beach dive off Corona Beach ( actually spotted by my son who nearly had his index finger split in half! ) I thought these guys belong in the Pacific. Anyone seen them in Coz before?. I have a few other pics if required

    post-1323-1125470569_thumb.jpg

    Edited by AndreSmith
  2. There are mantis shrimp all over the caribbean. Nothing unusual. This guy is Dark Mantis Shrimp (Gonodactylus curacaoensis).

     

    Your photo is better than mine, but here is a photo of that same species I took in Key Largo.

     

    www.photography.willandsam.com/Galleries/KL-October04/14.htm

     

    {mod edit} One of our members reports that according to Norton this link leads to a site that tries to push a "trojan" virus. Use at your own risk.

     

    {who ever reported this, would you please PM or email me with what Norton said about my site?}

    Edited by acroporas
  3. I, too, have seen them in the Caribbean but only the "white" variety. That guy has great color....

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.