I am getting ready to get insurance for my new rig, and was just wondering if there is any reason to get flood coverage on the housing and ports?
I don't see a point to have flood coverage on the ports since they and passive parts, but I am not sure about the housing (Ikelite for Nikon D70s w/iTTL). It will cost another $50 to get flood coverage on the housing, and the only reason I can see to get it is to cover the sync cord connection and manual EV controller. But since this equipment is completely new to me, I am not sure if it's necessary.
I would like to get everything wet tomorrow, so some quick responses would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug
There is no true of false answer here, you have to decide according to the risks and the price you think its will cost you in case of damage.
I have read the Official Insurance Thread, and saw that the housing question was asked. But, I couldn't find where anyone answered it.
Please don't get EVERYTHING wet, ok? :-)
If it costs less to get the "guts" of your housing repaired than it does to insure it, then don't insure it. I'd check w/ Ike about this.
Cheers
James
Already sent the email to Ike. Just waiting for reply.
I'll try not to get EVERYTHING wet, but then again isn't that why I am getting insurance?
I figure if I flood my aluminum housing, all I have to replace is the bulkhead connector; I don't have it insured for flood....I don't have my ports insured for flood, but I sure do have the camera, lenses, sync cord, strobes, & CF cards with flood coverage!
I also have a moisture alarm in my housing....
Depends on what insurance you go with. Some automatically cover for flood and others you have the option. That is a wallet draining circumstance when you have to take it all or nothing. I don't insure my ports for flooding. To me they are easy to R&R o-rings. I have even popped the glass out of a dome and re-seated it. But when it comes to my particular housing that includes a lot of electronic gizmos, I insure it. Replacing the electronics costs way more than the premiums. And like others have said, you have to look at the odds of flooding versus the cost of insuring.
Joe
All, thanks for the input.
The only real insurance option for me is DEPP, due to the transient nature of my job. I got the reply from Ikelite and it would take about six years before the cost of the insurance would excede the repair, so that settltes it for me.
Now, I just need to do a few leak test dives, and then I can start to use this contraption.