I have recently bought a Canon G2 as my all-around camera and would like to use it as my dive camera. I am an amateur underwater photographer and do not want to spend a million dollars on a housing. Any recommendations?
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
Housing for Canon G2
-
-
Check with www.digideep.com, they have listings for most of the popular cameras and housing for them.
Tom
-
Don't go too cheap. Reliablity and functionality are essential or you will find yourself not using it. I really like the small Ike digital housing. :ph34r:
-
The G2 allows most settings to be changed with the push of a button or rotation of a knob rather than scrolling through a multitude of menus, proving to be a favorite whenever we shoot test pictures. Following URL describes some of the reasons:
-
I have a G2 and use the Ike housing. Not the cheapest way to go, but it is definitely provides the most utility and reliability.
-
I also have a G2 and use the Ikelite housing. I have been extremely happy with the housing and my newly aquired Ikelite 125 strobe and TTL sensor.
Although I plan to write a more extensive review in the future, after a dozen dives with my Ike housing and G2, I can only say that it keeps the camera dry, it is easy to install and remove the camera, and that all of the controls function correctly.
My only complaint is the somewhat funky design of the external flash blocker, it is far from elegant!
I would also definitely consider a camera capable of using a wired strobe if I were starting from scratch to purchase a digital underwater photo system. Since I already owned a couple of G2s (I generally like the image quality) I did not have this as an option.
I would purchase another Ikelite housing in the future if I decide to go with a dslr or a different compact digicam. Ikelite provides great customer service and stands by their products.
click on the link below to see photos from my first dive with the G2. These were taken with the internal strobe.
-
I'm quite happy with my Canon Powershot G2 + Aquamir housing. The camera seems to be still availlable here and there, the housing definitely is (I got it from digitalEyes - quick replies, fast delivery).
I like the G2 better than the G3, because you see half of the zoom-optics through the viewfinder of the G3 and I find the G2 more ergonomic.
The Aquamir housing is teriffic. Unlike the orignial Canon housings, it's safe for 180 feet (10bar!) and you have buttons for really all camera functions. Compared to other housings, it's rather inexpensive (I paid ~700 US$).