Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Nikon Capture or Photoshop?

Started by Chuck Jensen ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Capture or Photoshop?

10 posts
  1. I have just purchased a Nikon D70s and along with it Nikon Capture. Can someone please tell me the difference between Photoshop CS and Nikon Capture? Are they used in conjunction with each other or should I have purchased the Photoshop instead?

    Thanks

    Chuck

  2. Hi Chuck,

     

    Welcome to Wetpixel.

     

    Photoshop has a lot more features than Nikon Capture - as Photoshop is a dedicated image editor that just so happens to come with a RAW conversion module. Then again Photoshop costs a LOT more. Nikon Capture is more like just a RAW conversion tool. Still, you'll be able to get 9/10th of the way to your final destination with Capture. You may want to use Capture for your RAW conversions, and then use Photoshop Elements to crop, resize, sharpen, etc.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Thanks James! I will keep that in mind! I also want to thank you for all your informative tips during my entire decision process! You have been a lifesaver!

    Cheers

    Chuck

  4. RawShooter Essentials 2005 (easy, nice and free) for RAW conversions and then........

     

    (...) use Photoshop Elements to crop, resize, sharpen, etc.
    Edited by mmb
  5. Nikon Capture is definately worth having!

     

    First off, you don't need Capture or Photoshop for RAW Conversions. The free Nikon View program (download from NikonUsa.com with your d70 serial number) will do RAW to JPG conversions just fine. It just can't make any adjustments.

     

    I'd recommend passing on Photoshop CS, and get Capture for color adjustments and PS Elements for editing work.

     

    Personally, I find Caputure a lot more intuitive and easy to use than PS CS. The Curves, White Balance, and D-Lighting features are easy to use and do an excellent job. Plus, if you want to upload Custom Curves to your D70, you are going to need Capture to do it. Custom Curves are a VERY effective tool to get better shots out of this camera without post processing.

     

    You'll need a photo editor like Elements to manipulate content, but you can get pick that up for about $500 less than PS CS and get 90% of the functionality.

     

    Dave

    Edited by davehicks
  6. I am having trouble converting the RAW files in Capture. It seems when I have the camera set to RAW, the images dont transfer to my computer. The JPEG files do? What am I doing wrong?

    Cheers,

    Chuck

  7. Hi Chuck, I think it maybe because your computer doesn't recognize .NEF files as pictures and doesn't transfer them automatically. Have you tried copying the .NEF files directly to where you want them?

     

    Luiz

     

    P.S. I moved your topic to the Image Processing area because I think you will get more feedback here.

  8. Thanks Luiz!

    I downloaded Nikon View and then I was able to transfer them. For some reason the Capture alone wouldnt do that. I really dont know too much about the processing end of things but am trying to learn.

    I have Nikon Capture and am pondering getting the Photoshop elements 4.0.

    I believe between the two I will be able to accomplish what I need to do with my RAW files.

    I may just bite the bullet and get Photoshop CS2. I am still debating whether to use my Capture and get Elements or just dump my Capture and go with Photoshop CS2 altogether for everything.

    Cheers,

    Chuck

  9. I have used Photoshop CS2 and Elements. My own opinion is that Elements contains almost all of the photo-related "elements" of Photoshop and is very competent to handle 90-plus percent of the image editing activities that digital photographers need to carry out. Especially if you are starting with a good image. Photoshop CS2 reminds me of MS Word, the dominant word-processing program. Over the years, both programs have gotten very fat with specialized features and tools that are seldom if ever needed by most photographers and writers, respectively. But the companies have to keep adding stuff to justify upgrades needed to keep the revenue stream going. Nevertheless, both are, at the core, excellent programs.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.