Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

MAC OSX and Photoshop Elements

Started by dhaas ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

MAC OSX and Photoshop Elements

9 posts
  1. Group,

     

    Anyone have a quick fast procedure to batch process a folder of images (in iPhoto) for uploading to a web site? I just obtained Photoshop Elements 2.0 newest version, but just wondered if anyone has used a quick, simple method to downsize FINE/LARGE JPEGs of about 2.5-3.0 MB. Plus, will the batch processing shrink files such as these to a quick loading size (<50K)

     

    Ideas?

     

    Thanks,

     

    David Haas

  2. Wish I could help you but I use a PC and Pshop 7. I use the "Web Image Gallery" feature to make a folder of images, a folder of thumbnails, and a folder of pages. If you want you can use these as your gallery - with a little customization.

     

    You have that for the mac?

     

    HTH

    James

  3. I haven't been using batch processing but I just use Save for Web with PS7 and OS X and 9.2. This will let you size your image to web size. :ph34r:

  4. I don't know if iPhoto will do exactly this but certainly Photoshop and ImageReady will allow you to create a "droplet" on your desktop. (The functionality is slightly different between the two applications but the idea is the same.)

     

    In Photoshop 7.0, under the File > Automate > Create Droplet, you can create a stand alone icon that will perform an action on a set of files.

     

    In ImageReady 7.0, in the optimization palette, you can adjust your settings, and then drag the little icon in the palette to your desktop. (Or you can click the icon and tell ImageReady where you'd like the droplet to be created.)

     

    You could also check the site that my wife and I maintain (http://www.adobeevangelists.com) for tutorials on this.

     

    Daniel Brown

    Sr. Evangelist

    Adobe Systems Inc.

    Danielb@adobe.com

  5. I'm trying to compress and resize a large number of images using PS7 or imageready. I figured out how to automate JPEG compression using the imageready droplet, but I can't make it automatically resize. Can this be done?

  6. Thanks, Daniel!

     

    Is there a way to tag jpg files with a specific colorspace without having re-save (and re-compress)? I suppose I could just write something to do it, but if something exists already, it would save some time. :huh:

  7. Far be it from me to offer advice when we have an Adobe Evangelist around :huh:

     

    BUT

     

    Yes, iPhoto can do what you are asking for, and could be automated if you wrote an Applescript for it...

     

    Exporting a group of images:

     

    Select the images you want from the library

    OR

    Move the images you want to process into a folder, then select that folder in the folder browser

     

    Select File>Export

     

    In the export dialog, change the popup menu to JPG (it will default to Original, meaning that a .psd file remains a .psd, etc etc)

    Specify the dimensions you want. It is smart enough to know that a horizontal aspect ratio image should remain horizontal, so if you specify max 400x600 and the image is horizontal, it will actually be resized to 600x400.

     

    Click export, it will prompt you for a location to save the files

     

    And away you go. :freak:

     

    Personally, I have made actions to resize down from 25Mb plus files to about 5 different pixel size jpgs, with varying jpg quality and some unsharp masking on the way. I then converted these to droplets from Photoshop 7, as others have suggested.

     

    The iPhoto export works fine with a large number of smaller files, or a small number of large files (the aforementioned 25Mb scans), but does get a little slow and flaky with a large number of large files. For these the Photoshop droplets are much more robust.

  8. I'm trying to compress and resize a large number of images using PS7 or imageready.  I figured out how to automate JPEG compression using the imageready droplet, but I can't make it automatically resize.  Can this be done?

    Yes,

     

     

    Just start recording an action with a file open, then step through the resizing via Image Size commands. Follow each one with a Save For Web and you can specify a target size for the jpeg.

     

    Once you have done with the last resize and save, click the stop button to stop recording the action.

     

    Then you can make a droplet from the action under the Automate menu.

     

    When you are done it should look something like this in the Actions menu

     

    capture.jpg

  9. David, for super simple, extremely flexible batch processing under Win/Mac/Linux, nothing beats ImageMagick. Mike

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.