Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Raw using Minimal Resources

Started by markprior ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Raw using Minimal Resources

3 posts
  1. When travelling I take with me an old laptop which is not very powerful (600mHz Crusoe, 256mb ram) but very small. This is great for downloading files on to the hard drive however it does not cope with Raw's very well.

     

    When I shot with an Olympus 5050 Photoshop worked fine but now....

     

    To open a raw file takes ages and is not very practical. I have tried Photoshop 7, Nikon Capture and Rawshooter (Doesn't even work). (I am using Nikon D70 Raws).

     

    Are there any other very light and small Raw conversion programs that would be better suited ?

  2. I travel with a 300MHz PII win98 dinosaur and never found it to be much of a limitation. I shoot raw+jpeg and batch save the jpegs with irfanview after downloading. It's a fairly quick operation, faster than the download time, even with this clunker.

     

    The jpeg is good enough for sorting. I work only on a few of the keeper raw files when I get home to my fast PC.

     

    If you really want raw conversion, I think dcraw probably requires the least computing resources. Look it up. It's free.

  3. I hadn't really thought about shooting Raw+jpeg. That's a really good idea though and then I can view the Jpeg's easily.

     

    I will try DCraw as well.

     

    I like to be able to review files on a larger screen to correct any problems in future dives not so visible on smaller screen.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.