Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Anemones from Bermuda

Started by Rocha ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Anemones from Bermuda

4 posts
  1. I was going through my Bermuda photos and I found this. I remember I thought it was very strange because in every dive I would see one or two rocks completely covered by anemones, but no other anemone anywhere else. Does anybody know what these are? I can check it in my ID book at my office on monday, but here it goes for those who have the books handy during the weekend:

     

    General view of the rock covered with anemones:

    anemones.jpg

     

    100% crop showing details of the anemones:

    anemones_crop.jpg

    Edited by Rocha
  2. Hi Rocha,

     

    Weird! Those look like indo-pacific corralimorphs. Start searching the books for corralimorphs - I may be spelling that wrong. I know there are some in your area - like Ricordia florida.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Great find. I've been looking for that guy for years.

     

    Not only do they look like comon indo-pacific corallimorphs but they are in the same genus as the most comon indo-pacific corallimporphs. Discosoma.

     

    They are Warty Mushroom polips. Discosoma sanctithomae.

  4. Great, thanks! They are very common in the south shore of Bermuda, as I said a lot of individuals in isolated rocks.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.