Anyone have any idea the name of this live shell? I couldn't find it in the Reef Creature ID book..
Photographed on a night dive in Palm Beach, Florida. Salt water! For those who think I might be scuba diving with the gators as a past time now. ;D

Read-only discussion
Anyone have any idea the name of this live shell? I couldn't find it in the Reef Creature ID book..
Photographed on a night dive in Palm Beach, Florida. Salt water! For those who think I might be scuba diving with the gators as a past time now. ;D

It's a moon snail in the family Naticidae, probably a Polinices. Unless someone else comes up with a name I'll head over to the malacology department & look through a few references for it.
My guess - and remember I am not a shell person - is Natica canrena.
See http://fm1.fieldmuseum.org/aa/Files/bieler/gastphyl.html and http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=10877 for images of living animals that show the same general pigmentation on the mantle as your critter. The color on the shell is quite variable - do a google image search to see various images of just the shell.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.