Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

I need some Housing help

Started by texellis ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

I need some Housing help

7 posts
  1. I have a Sony DCR-PC350 and I plan to buy a housing for it in the next few days. I've looked at just about everything out there and i've narrowed it down to the USVH PC and L&M Mako. I'm looking for feedback from anyone using these housings, especially if they have the same camcorder. I plan to get the full travel package with lights and monitor. My biggest reservation at this point is future compatibility. Since they don't make the 350 anymore I already have worries of my camera breaking and the housing being worthless to me. Warren at USVH says he can modify the housing to fit a new model for very cheap. L&M says $1500! Please give me some feedback folks...

  2. If your worried about the camera’s availability in the future why not buy a second as a backup ? I always found it to be a pain to take the camera out of the housing between dives. Having a second camera is a guarantee that you’ll never be with out especially on remote locations.

     

    Marc

  3. Haven't used the USVH but i did have an L&M for the PC100. I never really had any problems with it other than having to replace batteries in the handles.

     

    But as anyone here can tell you, cameras change so quickly now that its a real pain when something new comes out and it won't fit the housing you have....This is a big problem these days in photography, so many toys...

     

    Marc gave good advice about purchasing two cameras. But if its upgrading you are worried about you would be best to go with something like an Ikelite as they just create a standard design and can mix and match to meet new cameras. (USVH might be the same, i am not sure)

     

    Housings like L&M are made for specific cameras and usually made quite small so have tough times to fit newer cameras.

  4. I also have a PC350 and for the price and diving experience while using it I would definitely recommend the Ikelite housing, although the lack of a white balance control would probably make me consider others in the future.

     

    P.S. There's always Ebay for second hand Camcorders if anything ever went wrong with yours and you can't find an unused one for sale anywhere.

  5. If you are on a limited budget, making sure the housing purchase fits the next generation of cameras wouldn't be a bad suggestion. Buying 2 cameras is also a good idea but not really for the budget minded.

    Any manual controlled (partial or full) housing will be model specific and obsolete when you want to upgrade. But the good news is that usually you will probably have better optics (dome port etc).

    Most generic fit-many-generations housings have flat ports and are bigger than the model specific ones. It all depends on your budget. Normally the higher priced camcorders like the VX/PD series have a longer production cycle.

  6. Im in the UK and went for the USVH housing for my 350E. Electronic controls, reasonable cost, monitor etc - cant wait for delivery within the next week or so. Its also future proof to some degree and Warren was very helpful

  7. I use a sony PC120 (a few models previous to the 330,350). When I realised that my Gates housing would outlive the camera, I started collecting second hand 120s from ebay. Its almost cheaper than getting them fixed. A Pc120 originally cost £1000 approx...I pick up my backup machines now for £300 approx!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.